What else do you need to sleep besides a bed?
Of course, something to cover up, but a blanket is not the safest option. It can be quickly pulled over the face and lead to suffocation. The solution is therefore a sleeping bag for your baby. Regardless of the season, there are many sleeping bags, in different colors and sizes.
Our checklist will help you minimize the choice and not make a wrong decision. Finally, below you will find the 15 best sleeping bags for babies. Have fun reading and shopping!
- The sleeping bag should fit. The head must not run the risk of slipping into the sleeping bag.
- Therefore, despite rapid growth, do not buy too big.
- Rule of thumb: Length from the feet to the neck plus ten centimeters.
- Nothing should press, so watch out for buttons or seams that could be in the way.
- For quick diapering in between or at night, make sure it opens easily. Front or side zippers are ideal.
- There are sleeping bags with and without sleeves. For summer and the transitional period, models without sleeves are sufficient.
- Babies tend to overheat rather than freeze. Therefore, prefer breathable material. Example: cotton.
- Feel the material with your eyes closed. Then you can judge for yourself how high the comfort factor is.
- So-called pucksacks are only for newborns. As soon as babies can turn over by themselves, they need a sleeping bag. As soon as they can walk, i.e. from about one year of age, it is possible to switch to a blanket . Sleeping bags then become an unnecessary tripping hazard, for example on the way to the toilet.
- Winter sleeping bags with sleeves are only for cold nights.
- Usually, summer sleeping bags without sleeves are sufficient or, more conveniently, all-season sleeping bags that can be supplemented with an inner lining for the cold season.
- Especially newborns still find it difficult to regulate their own heat and therefore need some support.
Table of contents
Recommended Sleeping Bags
We have compiled the best and most interesting sleeping bags. You can find the list with our product recommendations here.
Tip: Like mummy like daughter. Discover cute dressing tables for children here.
The Best Sellers Of Sleeping Bags
In a list of bestsellers we have compiled the most popular sleeping bags for you.
Tip: Winter is just around the corner? Then check out our guide to snowsuits for babies in time.
Current Offers Of Sleeping Bags
You can find the best current offers on sleeping bags in this list.
Baby Sleeping Bag Advice
Find the perfect baby sleeping bag for you!
One of the most important criteria for choosing a baby sleeping bag is the question in which season you want to use it. If you want a sleeping bag for the summer, a light, unpadded model is enough. For winter, it should be a little thicker and cozier. However, there are also models that are suitable for both winter and summer.
You want a summer sleeping bag?
Then you are type A!
For you, a light model made of breathable materials is enough to let your baby sleep wonderfully in summer. Therefore I recommend you the Sleeping Bag and the Isidor Sleeping Bag.
The Schlummersack is available in a plain blue, while the sleeping bag Sterntaler Isidor comes up with a chic motif. With 1.0 Tog, the slumber bag is perfect for summer temperatures of 18-24 degrees. Through the side zipper, it is ideal for changing diapers. In turn, the Sterntaler Isidor sleeping bag has a zipper with improved scratch protection. Safety is a top priority here.
You want a year-round sleeping bag?
Then you are type B!
Why buy a sleeping bag for the summer when you can have a year-round sleeping bag? The Slumbersac sleeping bag, the one from Alvi and the one from Funktionsschlafsack from Sterntaler, were designed to be suitable for both warm and cold seasons.
The model from Alvi is designed so that you can also use the inner sack as a summer sack. Together with the outer bag, the summer bag then becomes a baby sleeping bag for every season in no time. The Slumbersac sleeping bag is padded with its 2.5 tog and is also suitable for year-round use at room temperatures of 15-21 degrees. The sleeping bag from Sterntaler, is mainly suitable for girls due to its appearance, but equally fulfills its function.
Baby Sleeping Bag Info
How to find the perfect baby sleeping bag..
Why do I need a sleeping bag?
Your baby should always be able to sleep comfortably and safely. To reduce the risk of sudden infant death, you should use baby sleeping bags instead of pillows and blankets. The sleeping bag fits tightly to the body and if it is the right size, then nothing will slip. Thus, nothing can slip in your baby’s face and disrupt the oxygen supply. In addition, baby sleeping bags are particularly cozy and warm, they give a sense of security that reminds your child of the womb.
What should I look for when buying?
Decisive when buying a sleeping bag, are usually four criteria. First of all, you have to decide in which season you want to use the sleeping bag, but also the size must be chosen appropriately. Also, a wrap-friendly closure is important, as it is much easier to handle. Lastly, of course, the appearance plays a role, as you should of course like the sleeping bag.
- suitable for the season
- the right size
- a practical closure
- a nice design
Suitable for the season: it is important that the sleeping bag fits the season. For summer you can use a thin, unlined sleeping bag made of breathable materials. In winter, it can be a bit cozier and warmer, so the sleeping bag has to be a bit thicker. Especially great, however, are all-season sleeping bags, which can be used in summer as well as in winter due to cleverly chosen materials and various combination options.
The right size: A rule of thumb when buying a sleeping bag is that babies should grow out – not into it. A sleeping bag that is too big is unsuitable for your baby, as it carries the risk of your child slipping into the sleeping bag unnoticed. You have to make sure that the neckline is not too wide.
For the right size, you can add about 15 centimeters to the size of your baby. Thus, your child has enough freedom to romp and can sleep safely at the same time.
A practical closure: Ideally, the zipper is covered and equipped with a chin guard, so nothing scratches and rubs and the risk of injury goes to zero. Since you also have to change diapers at night, a side zipper is recommended so that your baby is not disturbed during sleep, while you only have to open the sleeping bag for changing.
Design: Here, of course, it depends on your personal taste. There are many sleeping bags that are designed to look good on both a boy and a girl. You can make sure that the new sleeping bag matches the rest of the decor of the child’s room, and the bedding. There are so many designs, whether colorful, or plain – you’re sure to find what you’re looking for.
FAQ About The Sleeping Bag
Sleeping bags are suitable for the toddler age. So the children are always warmly wrapped, whereas a blanket can easily slip. From 2 to 3 years, the sleeping bag can also be omitted and a blanket is sufficient.
Sleeping bags are suitable for toddler age. This way, children are always wrapped up warmly, whereas a blanket can easily slip. From 2 to 3 years, the sleeping bag can also be omitted and a blanket is enough.
A sleeping bag should be neither too big nor too small. Optimal is to add 10 cm to the size of the child (without head calculation).
In summer we recommend a short-sleeved body or just a diaper under it. In winter, a long-sleeved bodysuit and possibly socks are the right choice.
This sleeping bag is used for a body height from 62 cm up to 75 cm. It can be worn between 0 and 9 months.
A sleeping bag of this size can be used from the age of 0.5 to 2 years. Your child should be between 70 cm and 95 cm tall.
For newborns we recommend a pucksack. Only when your baby can turn independently, you should choose the sleeping bag.
A sleeping bag has several advantages. On the one hand, it always keeps warm and, unlike a blanket, cannot slip away. On the other hand, a blanket is more dangerous due to the risk of suffocation.
- The 45 best cribs – guide
- The 9 best cribs for babies – guidebook
- The 9 best travel cots – guidebook
- The 7 best cribs for girls – guidebook
- The 8 best cribs for boys – guidebook
- The 7 best home cribs – guidebook
- The 10 best children’s beds in 90 x 200 cm – guidebook
- The 7 best children’s beds in 70 x 140 cm – guidebook
- The 5 best mattresses in 60×120 cm – guidebook
- The 9 best baby mattresses – guidebook
- The 9 best children’s mattresses – guidebook
- The 10 most popular cuddly toys for children – guidebook
- The 10 best night lights for the socket – Guidebook
- The 14 best night lights for kids – How to guide
- The 9 best baby monitors – How to choose
- The 10 best baby monitors with camera – How to guide
- The 7 best mobile changing tables – How to guide
- The 10 best baby changing tables – How to choose
- The 9 best nursery wardrobes – guidebook
- The 15 best seating groups for children – guidebook
- The 12 best beanbags for kids – guidebook
- The 12 most popular wall stickers for children – guidebook
- The 11 best wallpapers for children’s room – guidebook