For children, there are a variety of children’s books that different generations enjoy reading over and over again. These include, for example, basic themes, such as friendship or family stories. However, before buying, you should consider whether the subject matter is appropriate for your child’s age. The stories should therefore not be too exciting or scary .
To help you find the right classic children’s book for your child, we have created a suitable checklist for you. You can use this and our product recommendations as a guide. You are sure to find a nice children’s book classic for your child!
- For 4-year-olds to 7-year-olds, you will find among the classic children’s books
- Fairy tales and legends
- Fantasy stories
- Friendship, family, school, animal, knight, adventure and detective stories.
- When choosing a book, focus primarily on your child’s interests, such as horses or soccer.
- Consider your child’s current life situation when choosing a book (example: During a parental separation phase, “ideal world stories” such as Astrid Lindgren’s “Bullerbü” are not very suitable for child identification and tend to make children sad).
- Many literary classics have been made into animated or cartoon films. Against the more easily digestible fare, a book has little chance of acceptance at this age. Postpone the literary classic until later, when your child is already familiar with the protagonists of the book classic as animated characters.
- Some online retailers offer free reading samples to help you decide what to buy. Use them to assess whether the language and pictures are interesting and understandable for your child.
- Online reviews from other parents or booksellers make it easier to make a decision.
- The recommended age range is set by book publishers and does not take into account your child’s individual stage of development.
- If you feel that your child has enough prior experience to understand a particular children’s book classic , you can disregard the publisher ‘s age recommendation.
- Whether spelled correctly or incorrectly: Children memorize the spelling of words through repeated reading. Therefore, when making attic finds and second-hand purchases, make sure that the book edition in question was published after August 1, 1998 (when the last spelling reform was introduced).
Table of contents
Recommended Classic Children’s Books
We have compiled the best and most interesting children’s book classics. You can find the list with our product recommendations here.
Tip: You can find the best children’s books for ages 7 and up here.
The Bestsellers Of Children’s Book Classics
In a list of bestsellers we have compiled the most popular children’s book classics for you.
Tip: Learn more about the most popular children’s stories in this article.
Current Offers Of Children’s Book Classics
Find the best current deals on children’s classic books in this list.
FAQ About Children’s Book Classics
A children’s book is aimed specifically at children and is therefore also adapted to this target group. The content should be conveyed in an understandable way and with lots of pictures. This is especially important for children who can not yet read and write. Through pictures, your child can better understand the story. There are also many different genres that appeal to different age groups of your child
Children’s books should be adapted to their age. For smaller children, for example, more pictures and word games are appropriate, and for the older ones, sometimes already extensive stories about school or adventures. Nevertheless, illustrations are ideally included for variety. In addition, a children’s book should offer discovery, whether linguistic or pictorial.
In addition to everyday stories, school and friendship come up with school children. In addition, fantasy, detective and adventure stories are in the foreground. However, attention should be paid to the child’s preferences for the time being.
The text should not simply be read out loud. It can help to change the pitch of the voice and to insert pauses. In addition, the child should be allowed to ask questions in between and you should make yourself as comfortable as possible together. Interruptions in between should be avoided and this togetherness should be used during the day.
There are children’s books and authors that almost every child knows. These include the books of Astrid Lindgren, Erich Kästner, Ottfried Preußler, Michel Ende or Paul Maar. Of course, it is not a must to choose the books of these authors for your child. Nevertheless, they offer a good overview and are popular with many children
This question cannot be answered unequivocally. Every child has different preferences and probably has their own individual favorite book. However, detective, friendship or family stories are consistently popular
It is advisable to start reading aloud relatively early. However, you should not overtax your child at the beginning, otherwise he or she will quickly lose interest. Many parents start reading to the child from 3 months
reading books aloud can help children expand their vocabulary and concentrate on something for a longer period of time. It also allows them to freely express their creativity and additionally make up their own little stories if they can’t read yet
A children’s book should not be too long, because your child cannot yet concentrate on the story for too long. A read-aloud book should therefore be 30 to 80 pages long
More On The Topic
- The 12 best “Why Why Why” children’s books – guidebook
- The 40 best children’s books – guidebook
- The 15 best children’s books from 6 years – guidebook
- The 15 best children’s books from 5 years – guidebook
- The 15 best children’s books from 4 years – guidebook
- The 15 best children’s books from 3 years – guidebook
- The 15 best personalized children’s books – guidebook
- The 15 best children’s books from 2 years – guidebook
- The 15 best children’s books from 1 year – guidebook
- The 10 most beautiful Christmas books for children – guidebook
- The 11 best books for babies – guidebook
- The 12 best Tiptoi books for children – guidebook
- The 9 best hidden object books for children – How to guide
- The 10 best read-aloud and picture books for children – guidebook
- The 10 best Pixi books – guidebook
- The 13 best coloring books for children – guidebook
Games for kids
- The 10 best Viking chess games for kids – guidebook
- The 5 best Harry Potter board games – guidebook
- The 5 best mindfulness games – guidebook
- The 8 best Super Mario board games – guidebook
- The 8 best games from 2 years – guidebook
- The top 9 detective games – guidebook
- The 8 best games from 10 years
- The best games from 0 to 7 years – guidebook
- The 18 best games for 6 year old children – guidebook
- The 16 best games for 5 year old children – guidebook
- The 15 best games for 4 year old children – guidebook
- The 15 best educational toys for children – guidebook