If you want to work regularly in the garden in the summer, a garden hose is almost indispensable. It will save you a lot of time, as you can water your plants without having to refill the watering can several times. It is important that your garden hose is long enough to reach all corners of the garden. But also the material should not be neglected in your choice so that the hose does not become brittle or even crack after a short time.
So that you can care for your plants in the summer without complications, we have created a suitable checklist for you. Here you can read up on the topic of garden hoses and also take a look at our many great product recommendations.
- A good garden hose is kink-resistant and hardly twists. This is achieved by incorporating spiral or cross weave, which is visible to you as the customer.
- Furthermore, a garden hose must remain dimensionally stable when exposed to cold or heat . For hoses of 25 meters or more in length, a hose reel provides support in this regard.
- For most gardens, a garden hose with an inner diameter of 12.7mm is sufficient. This corresponds to 1/2 inch . If you have a garden with large green areas, better choose 19 mm inner diameter (3/4 inch).
- A garden hose should withstand at least the water pressure of 20 bar. Common water connections in the garden have between four and 10 bar.
- It is important that your garden hose is made of UV-resistantmaterial. Garden hoses without this feature will quickly crack, become brittle or start to stick after exposure to sunlight.
- Garden hoses made of PVC often contain toxic plasticizers (phthalates). Good garden h oses are free of phthalates and heavy metals and are labeled as such. Look for this when buying.
- Empty your garden hose after use. Water residue in the hose leads to lime deposits and promotes algae formation.
- Rubber hoses have the best eco-balance in comparison.
- Flex hoses often contain harmful substances. If you want to water vegetables and fruit trees or fill up paddling pools with a garden hose, it is better to use a good, classic garden hose. A rubber hose would also be suitable.
- Rubber hoses are of high quality and usually free of harmful substances. They are expensive and very heavy. A 20-meter rubber hose weighs about 10 kg. They should be free of nitrosamine residues. Good rubber hoses are used in the food industry.
- Determine the length from the water connection to the farthest point of the garden. Be aware of objects that cannot be moved and factor in the detour.
- Garden hoses usually come in lengths of 10, 15, 20, 30 and 50 meters. Round up your calculated value to the next length. Large hardware stores and some Internet providers have garden hoses by the meter in their assortment.
Table of contents
Recommended Garden Hoses
We have compiled the best and most interesting garden hoses. You can find the list of our product recommendations here.
Tip: In this article, you can learn more about the best hedge trimmers.
The Best Sellers Of Garden Hoses
In a list of bestsellers, we have compiled the most popular garden hoses for you.
Tip: In this article, you can read about the best leaf blowers
Current Offers Of Garden Hoses
You can find the best current offers on garden hoses in this list.
FAQ Garden Hoses
Through a garden hose you can direct water, which is then used to water the garden. Therefore, you no longer need to fill watering cans and you can save the way from the house to the garden
Garden hoses are available in many different lengths, most of which are between 20 and 50 meters long. They usually weigh around 10 kilos
There are several ways to store a garden hose. A pure garden hose can be rolled up by hand after use and stored in the basement, for example. A hose cart makes it easy to roll up and transport the garden hose. A hose box can often be placed right next to the faucet, allowing the garden hose to be reeled up and stored right in the garden.
This varies depending on the model. However, the diameter of the garden hose plays a role here. This can be up to 12.7mm. On average, however, you can expect up to 20 liters per minute
A garden hose can cost up to 50 euros or more. However, the price depends on the length and quality of the hose
You should rinse the hose thoroughly once a week to remove any dirt. You can clean the inside of the garden hose with cleaning agents specially designed for this purpose. To do this, rinse the garden hose thoroughly several times
A garden hose should be able to withstand a water pressure of 20 bar without showing any signs of damage
You can connect a garden hose to your faucet in the garden relatively easily. This usually requires a special adapter. Some manufacturers even include such an adapter in the delivery. If this is not the case, you can of course purchase it separately. However, make sure that the adapter fits your hose
The hose should in no case contain harmful ingredients or heavy metals. Therefore, make sure that the hose is environmentally friendly and rather opt for a rubber hose. These are also of very high quality and will not become brittle even in strong sunlight in the summer, if you choose a model with UV protection
More on the topic
- The 7 best high pressure cleaners – guidebook
- The 7 best leaf blowers – guidebook
- The 9 best leaf collectors
- The 7 best leaf vacuums – Guidebook
- The 6 best Gardena hose boxes – guidebook
- The 7 best Gardena lawn mowers – guidebook
- The 4 best Gardena scarifiers – guidebook
- The 6 best pop-up sprinklers from Gardena – Guidebook
- The 6 best sprinkler systems from Gardena – Guidebook
- The 6 best lawn trimmers from Gardena – guidebook
- The 8 best Micro-Drip systems from Gardena – Guidebook
- The 5 best Gardena garden pumps – guidebook
- The 8 best irrigation systems from Gardena – guidebook
- The 6 best watering computers from Gardena – Guidebook
- The 20 best lawn mowers – guidebook
- The 10 best electric lawn mowers with cable – guidebook
- The 7 best Gardena lawn mowers – guidebook
- The 8 best petrol lawn mowers – guidebook
- The 10 best cordless lawn mowers – guidebook
- The 7 best work pants for men – guidebook
- The 7 best thermal work gloves – guidebook
- The 10 best work shoes – adviser
- The 12 best work clothes – guidebook
- The 12 best work gloves – guidebook
- The 8 best earmuffs – guidebook
- The 9 best hearing protectors – advisor
- The 10 best forestry helmets – Advisor
- The 7 best cut protection pants – guidebook