Power saws are an enormous relief when it comes to larger or even smaller craft tasks. They have enjoyed great popularity for a long time and it is hard to imagine life without them. But what should you look for when you want to buy a chainsaw?
We want to help you and have compiled a checklist with the most important facts and direct product recommendations for you. Have fun sawing!
- First of all, you should think about the purpose for which you want to use the chainsaw.
- How often and for what will the saw be needed? How much and what kind of wood will be cut? Will the wood be cut directly in the forest or at home?
- In addition to classic gasoline chainsaws, there are now more and more electric and battery saws.
- The latter are particularly suitable for use indoors and in your own garden.
- The power of the chainsaw should depend on the intended use.
- If you want to use your saw universally, an engine power of 3.5 – 5 kWis recommended.
- Chainsaws with more than 5 kW are mostly unsuitable for simple private use due to their high dead weight.
- For smaller and occasional activities, a multi-purpose guide between 35 and 45 cm is suitable.
- Small and medium diameter trees are best cut with a guide bar length of 45 to 55 cm, thicker trunks with a length of 55 cm and more.
- Gasoline chainsaws are usually heavier than saws powered electronically or by battery.
- The average weight of the former variant is about 4-6 kg. As a rule, the greater the power and blade length, the heavier the chainsaw.
- Meanwhile, many manufacturers specify the so-called power-to-weight ratio of the saw in kilograms per kW. This reflects the relationship between engine power and equipment weight. The following applies: the smaller the power-to-weight ratio, the better the power-to-weight ratio of the chainsaw.
- Chainsaws are subject to legal requirements and may only be used on weekdays between 7:00 and 20:00.
- Chainsaws that are powered by fuel are often over 100 decibels loud. Hearing protection is recommended here in any case.
- Electric and cordless saws are generally quieter and can even be used indoors if necessary.
Table of contents
We have compiled the best and most interesting chainsaws. You can find the list with our product recommendations here.
Tip: For sports fans – check out our guide to basketball jerseys.
The Best Sellers Of Chainsaws
In a list of bestsellers we have compiled the most popular chainsaws for you.
Tip: For other gardening needs, check out our guide to crevice brushes.
Current Offers Of Chainsaws
You can find the best current offers on chainsaws in this list.
The right chainsaw always depends on the type of application. We have explained this to you in detail above in our checklist.
Chainsaws are subject to stricter regulations. They may only be used on weekdays from 7:00 am to 8:00 pm.
For beginners, a lighter model is definitely suitable. Depending on the area of application, the right product should be chosen here. Look for this gladly again above in our checklist.
The bar length should at least correspond to the diameter of the things you want to saw with it. Otherwise your work will be more difficult.
More On The Topic
- The 10 most popular electric jigsaws
- The 6 best branch chain saws – guidebook
- The 8 best circular table saws – guidebook
- The 8 best jigsaws – guidebook
- The 7 best reciprocating saws – guidebook
- The 8 best chop saws – guidebook
- The 6 best hole saws – guidebook
- The 10 best Japanese saws – guidebook
- The 8 best foxtail saws – guidebook
- The 7 best sliding table saws – guidebook
- The 7 best hand saws – guidebook
- The 8 best fine saws – guidebook
- The 7 best frame saws – guidebook
- The 6 best miter saws – guidebook
- The 10 best hacksaws – guidebook