For working with wood, the use of chisels is essential. They are suitable for smoothing surfaces and for decorating and shaping wooden objects.
We have summarized all the important information about buying a chisel for you in our checklist. You can find a selection of practical chisels in our product recommendations.
- Chisels are tools for light to medium work with wood. You can use them to rework contours or make precise joints.
- They are, as the expert says, pushed by hand. That is, you hold the chisel with one hand and strike the back end of the handle with the heel of the other hand.
- So-called chisels are chisels that are struck with a wooden mallet. A wooden mallet is a special hammer for working with chisels. The hammer head is made entirely of wood. You can recognize chisels by a metal ring at the back end of the handle. This metal ring is called a ferrule and prevents the wood of the handle from splintering.
- Chisels are used for heavier work.
- Chisels are available with blade or blade widths ranging from 4 to about 50 mm. The most common sizes for chisels are 6 mm / 12 mm / 20 mm / 26 mm / 32 mm and 38 mm.
- Depending on the manufacturer, chisels have a length including handle of about 220 to 380 mm.
- The blades of high-quality chisels are made of carbon steel. These types of steel are hard and can be ground very sharp. However, the blades are relatively brittle and can break if not handled properly. In addition, carbon steel can rust.
- Somewhat easier to handle are chisel blades made of tool or stainless steel. However, their disadvantage is that they become dull again more quickly during work.
- Chisels can be purchased individually or in a set. Chisel sets usually contain 4 to 6 ch isels with the most common widths. The advantage of a chisel set is that all the tools are the same length and you don’t have to adjust when using a different size
- Another advantage is that, depending on the set, instructions for sharpening and a sharpening stone are included, so you can take perfect care of your high-quality tools.
Table of contents
Here you can find the top 8 most popular chisels.
Tip: You can find practical bike trailers for family outings in our guide to bike trailers.
The Best Sellers Of Chisel
We have compiled the most popular chisels for you in this bestseller list.
Tip: You’ll find lots of great Fireman Sam toys in our guide to Fireman Sam toys.
Current Offers For Chisel
Here you will find a selection of offers that are currently available in the area of chisels.
Chisels are available from various manufacturers. On this page we have compiled the most popular models for you. You’re sure to find something that fits your needs and budget.
A chisel is a tool for woodworking. The possibilities of using a chisel are very versatile. For artists such as woodcarvers, the chisel is indispensable. You can use it to smooth wooden surfaces and decorate them with notches or bring them into shape.
The free surface of the chisel should be sharpened on a slightly moistened grindstone with rotating movements until the burr has disappeared.
Chisels can be used in different ways. For smoothing surfaces, the bevel should face up.
More On The Topic
Equipment for the workshop
- The 7 best screwdrivers – guide
- The 6 best screw clamps – guidebook
- The 7 best vices – guidebook
- The 7 best bench drills – How to
- The 14 best circular hand saws – guidebook
- The 10 most popular electric jigsaws
- The 7 best hand saws – guidebook
- The 7 best flat chisels – Guidebook
- The 7 best angle grinders – guidebook
- The 7 best compressors for the workshop – Guidebook
- The 6 best planer benches for the workshop – Guidebook
- The 6 best water pump pliers – Guidebook
- The 8 best pliers – guidebook
- The 8 best combi pliers – guidebook
- The 8 best rubber hammers – guidebook
- The 7 best roofing hammers – guidebook
- The 8 best splitting hammers – guidebook
Work and protective clothing
- The 7 best work pants for men – Guidebook
- The 10 best work shoes – Guidebook
- The 10 best safety shoes – Guidebook
- The 12 best work gloves – guidebook
- The 7 best thermal work gloves – guidebook
- The 8 best safety glasses – guidebook
- The 8 best earmuffs – guidebook
- The 9 best hearing protectors – guidebook
- The 10 best forestry helmets – adviser
- The 7 best cut protection pants – guidebook