Screwdrivers are one of the most famous and widely used tools from any toolbox. For fastening various screws, good screwdrivers are essential in every household.
What you need to look for when buying a screwdriver to work quickly and without much effort, you will learn in our checklist. You will find a large selection of good screwdrivers in the product recommendations.
- The ball of the handle should have an ergonomic shape so that it fits comfortably in the hand. Ideally, it is well padded. This prevents you from getting blisters and calluses when working for a long time.
- In addition, the shape of the handle plays a major role in the transmission of force.
- As a rule, the handle is made of plastic.
- The shaft can be made of different materials.
- Inexpensive screwdrivers can easily rust and are also often not very resilient.
- A shaft made of stainless steel or compounds made of chrome vanadium steel, which is also stainless, is recommended. Be aware that stainless steel is not always rust-free. Alloys of chrome, vanadium and steel are.
- The tip of the shank is usually not chrome-plated, but hardened with a special process, which gives it more fit.
- The length of the blade largely determines the comfort of working.
- The available sizes vary from 60 to 420 mm.
- A small screwdriver for electrical work has a significantly shorter blade than a large screwdriver with a wide tip.
- The length of the handle is also based on the work required.
- However, since the screwdriver should always fit comfortably in the hand, the differences here are much smaller. The length of the handles is usually between 70 and 130 mm.
- This results approximately in the total length of the screwdrivers. It can range from 130 mm to more than 500 mm.
- The stronger the blade , the higher loads it can withstand.
- For a chandelier clamp you need a very slim screwdriver. Here, force is less important.
- To screw roof beams, you should use a suitably robust screwdriver with a sturdy shaft. The diameter of the blades is between approx. 2.0 mm and 15.0 mm.
- There are some extras that can make your work much easier.
- The screws adhere to a magnetized tip and are held in position. If you drop one, you can retrieve it from almost inaccessible corners.
- Very practical is a so-called key ring on the head of the screwdriver, in which you can place a hexagonal wrench to optimize the torque.
Table of contents
We have compiled the best and most interesting screwdrivers. You can find the list with our product recommendations here.
Tip: Practical carving knives for woodwork can be found in our guide to carving knives.
The Best Sellers Of Screwdrivers
In a list of bestsellers we have compiled the most popular screwdrivers for you.
Tip: You can find everything about the famous Swiss Army Knife in our guide to Swiss Army Knives.
Current Offers Of Screwdrivers
You can find the best current offers on screwdrivers in this list.
FAQ About Screwdrivers
A screwdriver is a tool in different sizes and shapes. It is used to manually tighten or loosen screws.
Common screws are tightened to the right and loosened to the left. Some fasteners work the other way around, but this is very rarely the case.
As a substitute for screwdrivers, depending on the screw head, coins or other flat objects can serve. In general, however, a screwdriver is a very popular tool that is available everywhere. You can find a wide selection of screwdrivers in our product recommendations.
In this matter there is no right or wrong. Both terms are used synonymously, depending on the region or occupational group.
The main function of the screwdriver is to “pull out” or unscrew screws from various materials. The name is adapted to the function of the tool.
There are slotted, cross, hexagonal and Torx screwdrivers, adapted to the different profiles on the screw heads.
To magnetize a screwdriver manually is not very easy. It is recommended to buy directly a screwdriver with integrated magnet.
Different screwdriver tips are needed for the different profiles on the screws, which is also the reason why there are different screwdrivers. Also, the screwdriver must always match the size of the screw.
If there is no screwdriver at hand, a coin, for example, can be used for a slotted screwdriver. In general, however, it is very difficult to find suitable substitutes for screwdrivers.
For slotted, Phillips, hexagonal and Torx screwdrivers are needed analog slotted, Phillips, hexagonal and Torx screws.
More On The Topic
- The 7 best sledgehammers – guidebook
- The 8 best rubber hammers – guidebook
- The 8 best splitting hammers – guidebook
- The 7 best angle grinders – guidebook
- The 8 best combination pliers – guidebook
- The 8 best pliers – How to guide
- The 6 best screw clamps – How to
- The 10 most popular electric jigsaws
- The 6 best branch chain saws – guidebook
- The 10 best Japanese saws – guidebook
- The 7 best flat chisels – guidebook
- The 10 most popular electric jigsaws
- The 5 best electric fireplaces with fan heaters
- The 8 best electric heaters
- The 7 most popular electric scooters for children
- The 9 most popular electronic mousetraps
- The 15 best electronic pets for children – guidebook
- The 6 most popular electric wheelbarrows
- The top 7 electric snow shovels – guidebook