Tired of struggling with open-end wrenches while tightening screws? With a socket set, you only have to apply the tool once and you can tighten screws of any size without much force. A practical tool that should not be missing in your workshop.
We present the different variants, materials and accessories in our checklist . Take a look at our product recommendations to find the best socket set for you.
- There are sockets designed for 1/4-inch ratchets, 3/8-inch r atchets, and 1/2-inch ratchets. Socket wrenches for 1/4-inch ratchets are the most common.
- With an adapter , the sockets can be used with ratchets with different inch sizes.
- Ideally, you should buy a whole socket set right away. That way, you’ll always have the right nut, as the small screwdrivers are also called, at hand. The sets range from small handy solutions to the detailed luxury version with numerous additional parts.
- We recommend you to go for a rather compact socket set if you don’t want to use it only at home. A heavy box with a lot of parts that you don’t actually need quickly acts as ballast.
- As a rule, sizes 10 and 13 are needed most often . An assortment of sizes 4 to 15 is usually enough to get most jobs done. If you want to be prepared for all cases, there are sockets in almost every conceivable size.
- Sockets are almost always made of chrome vanadium steel. This makes them sturdy and gives them longevity.
- So that you can work quickly without having to constantly search for the right socket wrench, it is particularly important that the labeling is as easily recognizable as possible.
- Many manufacturers engrave the respective size. Although this is almost indestructible, it is sometimes difficult to recognize. Much more practical here is a marking with colors.
- Accessories may not be quite the right word, but you can’t do much with just a socket wrench alone. A ratchet ensures maximum efficiency, as the ingenious system improves rotation
- Alternatively, there are simple handles that resemble a screwdriver. They require much more effort, but they are also usually much cheaper
- To increase leverage and work in hard-to-reach areas, you should also note extensions and joints on your shopping list.
Table of contents
Here you will find the top 7 among the most popular sockets.
Tip: For a secure grip on your next alpine mountain hike, check out our guide to crampons.
The Best Sellers Of Socket Wrenches
We have compiled the most popular socket wrenches for you in this bestseller list.
Tip: For practical stump grinders , check out our guide to stump grinders.
Current Offers For Socket Wrench
Here you will find a selection of offers that are currently available in the socket wrench section.
FAQ About Socket Wrenches
Socket wrenches are used when screws that are difficult to access or loosen need to be handled. Unlike box wrenches or open-end wrenches, socket wrenches are used vertically rather than horizontally.
For normal household purposes, sizes 4 to 15 are sufficient. If you are working with particularly small or large screws, a socket wrench set with a larger circumference is recommended.
Which socket wrench you need depends on the size of the screw you want to fasten or loosen. If you already have a set, the size can be found out quickly by trial and error.
Sockets are usually attached to ratchets. When loosening or tightening, one side of the socket wrench sits firmly on the screw, while the other side rotates “through” when the screw is turned back. In this way, a strong force can be exerted through the leverage effect.
Socket wrenches usually consist of two ends. One end is adapted to the screw, the other to the adapter or ratchet. They are made of chrome vanadium steel and adapted to the size of the screw.
- The 8 best splitting hammers – guide
- The 8 best rubber hammers – guidebook
- The 7 best flat chisels – guidebook
- The 7 best spirit levels – guidebook
- The 8 best combination pliers – guidebook
- The 7 best screwdrivers – How to
- The 8 best pinch pliers – advisor
- The 7 best twist drills – How to guide
- The 12 best cordless screwdrivers – guidebook
- The 8 best cow foot tools – Guidebook
- The 10 best tool carts – Advisor
- The 6 best screw clamps – How to
- The 7 best vices – guidebook
Garden and more
- The 7 best garden hoses – Advisor
- The 7 best garden rollers – Guidebook
- The 20 best lawn mowers – guidebook
- The 10 best electric lawn mowers with cable – Guidebook
- The 7 best Gardena lawn mowers – guidebook
- The 8 best garden sheds for storage – guidebook
- The 8 best garden showers
- The 10 best garden shower screens – guidebook