You are looking for a good splitting hammer? Then our guide is perfect for you. We have compared the best split hammers and linked the best ones in our product recommendations for you. You are sure to find a suitable model for you there. Also, take a look at our checklist to be well informed about split hammers.
- A splitting hammer also has a long handle, but it is significantly heavier than a classic splitting axe.
- A head weight of 2.5 to 3 kg is suitable for relatively simple splitting tasks.
- With a head weight of 3.5 kg and more, relatively long logs can also be split well.
- The hardened steel blade can penetrate the wood well if the cutting edge has a blunt angle of 30°. In comparison, a classic splitting axe comes to only about 20°.
- The surface of the striking head is rounded on some models. This makes it easier to hammer in wedges.
- In order for you to be able to strike out well with the splitting hammer, it should have the right handle length.
- Most classic models have a handle length of 80 to 90 cm.
- Split hammers with a 60 to 80 cm long handle are suitable for smaller people.
- A cheap splitting hammer usually comes with a handle made of wood. Ash or hickory is often used. These are relatively unbreakable woods that are also easy to replace. However, they only become weather-resistant with the appropriate varnish.
- Lighter but still stable are handles made of plastic. These are found in the middle and upper price segments. They are reinforced with glass fibers and often have the advantage of an ergonomic design. Some models come with special rubber inserts to dampen vibrations. However, fiberglass handles cannot be replaced in the event of a defect.
- Very rare is the splitting hammer with a steel handle. It cannot be broken and is well balanced. Unsuitable for long periods of use or work in different places.
Table of contents
Recommended Splitting Hammer
Here you can find the top 8 most popular splitting hammers.
Tip: You can find the best caulking hammers in our guide to the 8 best caulking hammers.
The Best Sellers Of The Splitting Hammer
We have compiled the most popular splitting hammers for you in this bestseller list.
Tip: You can find the best twist drills in our guide to the 7 best twist drills.
Current Offers For Splitting Hammer
Here you will find a selection of offers that are currently available in the field of splitting hammers.
FAQ: Frequently Asked Questions
The majority of commercially available split hammers have an overall length of between 85 and 90 cm.
With a weight between 2.5 and 3.5 kg, occasional work and splitting soft wood species and small quantities can be easily managed.
A splitting hammer is similar to a splitting axe. The difference is that a splitting hammer is heavier. A splitting hammer can be used to cut wood.
- The 7 best sledgehammers – guidebook
- The 8 best caulking hammers – guidebook
- The 7 best jackhammers – guidebook
- The 7 best mason’s hammers – guidebook
- The 7 best sledge hammers – guidebook
- The 8 best rubber hammers – guidebook
- The 6 best hammer drills – guidebook
- The 8 best measuring tools – guidebook
- The 7 best workbenches – guidebook
- The 15 best tool bags for on the road – How to guide
- The 10 best tool cases – How to
- The 6 best watchmaker tools – guidebook