Table of contents
A freezer is worth its weight in gold for food storage. Especially as a family with many people living in the same household, it is not always easy to have the right food in the house. A freezer makes long-term food storage possible.
The selection is large and the purchase decision is not always easy. In order for you and your family to find the right freezer, various other factors should be right in addition to the dimensions and price. We have summarized the most important factors in our checklist. In our product recommendations, we have compiled the best models for you. You’re sure to find what you’re looking for in these freezers.
- Realistically estimate how much frozen food you want to store. As a rule, about 40 to 60 liters of volume per (adult) person are estimated.
- Keep in mind that even frozen food has a shelf life and almost every freezer needs to be defrosted once a year.
- If the volume is too large, you’ll lose track more quickly and food may spoil. In addition, you pay more electricity costs, the larger the device and consumption. 100 unnecessary liters of volume increase electricity consumption by 25%.
- The more economical the power consumption, the cheaper it is to run the freezer.
- You can usually find the energy efficiency class on the front of the device.
- Important: The energy classes such as: A++ were replaced in March 2021! From now on, there are new energy efficiency labels. The new scale ranges from A to G and is supposed to be even more informative.
- A denotes the best energy efficiency and G the worst.
- If the freezer is located in the basement or garage, this factor matters less. However, if the appliance is to be located in the inhabited area, it should not be louder than the refrigerator. The noise level is specified in decibels (dB). Below 40 dB is ideal. Around 40 dB corresponds to soft music or a quiet conversation. Above 50 dB, it becomes unpleasant in the long run.
- Compartments or drawers? Think for a moment about the things you want to freeze (such as noisy pizza boxes or small baby formula bags) and what layout and features would be easiest for you to use. Drawers are considered better because they make it easier to keep track of things when the appliance is full. Some units offer a flexible division of compartments and drawers for maximum variability.
- If you want to freeze a lot of freshly cooked food, you should choose a freezer that freezes food quickly. Fast freezing ensures high quality.
- Automatic defrost/no-freeze, ice cube maker, interior light or door display – such extras make family life easier. Which extras are worth the extra charge?
- Where should the freezer be placed and in which direction should the door open? The door hinge is not changeable on every appliance.
- Is there a warning signal if the kids accidentally leave the door open? What does the freezer do when the power goes out? To prevent your frozen food from defrosting prematurely or even spoiling, the behavior factor should be right in the event of a malfunction.
Recommended Freezers For Families
We have compiled the best and most interesting freezers for families. You can find the list with our product recommendations here.
Tip: You can find many more refrigerators in our guide to refrigerators and freezers.
The Best Sellers Of Freezers For Families
In a list of bestsellers we have compiled the most popular freezers for families for you.
Tip: You can find many great coffee machines in our guide to coffee machines.
Current Offers Of Freezers For Families
You can find the best current deals on freezers for families in this list.
FAQ About The Freezer
A freezer should not be warmer than -18 degrees Celsius.
A freezer should be cold after a period of approximately 4 to 6 hours.
A freezer should be at least -18 degrees cold.
At least once a year, the freezer should be defrosted.
If the freezer is empty and turned off, you can put containers of hot water in the freezer to speed up the melting process. Make sure that you catch the melt water and that it does not run into the apartment. Once all the ice has melted, you can turn the freezer back on and let it cool for 4 to 6 hours. Then it is ready for use again.
A freezer needs to defrost until you can loosen the ice from the cabinet and remove all icing. You can speed up the process by placing containers of cold water in the cabinet.
Refrigerators and freezers
- The 5 best WLAN refrigerators
- The 5 best draft beer fridges
- The 10 best beer fridges
- The best refrigerators and freezers
- The 6 best freezers
- The 8 best refrigerators for families
- The 6 best beverage refrigerators for home
- The 6 best beer coolers for home
Other kitchen appliances
- The best kitchen appliances for the home
- The 8 best pans for the kitchen
- The 5 best pressure cookers
- The 13 best fondue sets
- The 8 best bread makers
- The 8 best dehydrators
- The 8 best raclette grills
- The 8 best ovens
- The 10 best cookware sets
- The 8 best microwave ovens
- The 20 best grills
- The 6 best Weber grills
- The 7 best Landmann gas grills
- The 8 best kettle grills
- The 8 best table grills
- The 8 best electric grills
- The 7 best charcoal grills
- The 9 best gas grills
- The best barbecue accessories
- The 8 best barbecue tongs
- The 12 best barbecue trolleys
- The 8 best barbecue aprons for men
- The 9 best grill grates
- The 7 best books with barbecue recipes
- The 7 best charcoals
- The 10 best barbecue lighters