Without a grill grate , the best grill won’t work. You need to be prepared for warm summer days or sociable barbecues – find the right grill grate for your barbecue today.
Find out which material is most suitable for you and which size you need in our checklist. In the product recommendations , practical grill grates.
- The material of a grill grate should be durable and at the same time be able to store the generated heat well. Thus, it can positively influence the grilling result .
- Cheap grill gr ates are often made of chromed steel. However, these models are not particularly durable, as the chrome layer quickly flakes off.
- A grill grate made of stainless steel is rust-free, durable and very easy to clean. Stainless steel is heat-resistant and can also withstand strong temperature fluctuations. It is suitable for both direct and indirect grilling.
- Cast iron grills need to be baked several times before use, so that they build up a protective layer. The material is not as durable as stainless steel, but it can store heat particularly well and transfer it evenly to the food being grilled. The solid grill grates made of stainless steel are only suitable for indirect grilling to a limited extent, as they give off a lot of heat to the food being grilled.
- An enameled cast iron grill grate is easier to clean and more durable.
- A grill grate with thick bars can retain heat better than models with thin bars. Most grill grates have bars with a thickness of 4, 6 or 8 mm.
- While a cast iron grill grate retains heat well, a stainless steel grill grate should have thicker bars to retain heat.
- Thick bars and an even release of stored heat give the grilled food that classic branding.
- Grill grates come in many different styles and sizes. Most models are round, square or rectangular.
- The size of the grill grate determines how many people can be served at the same time. Dimensions of 40×30 cm are usually enough for about 4 people. Larger grill grates are recommended for larger groups.
- The dimensions of the grill grate should also fit the dimensions of your grill. Many grills have an included grate. However, you can also replace this with models that suit your grilling habits.
Table of contents
Recommended Grill Grates
We have compiled the best and most interesting grill grates. You can find the list with our product recommendations here.
Tip: You can find practical rubber hammers in our guide to rubber hammers.
The Best Sellers Of Grill Grates
In a list of bestsellers we have compiled the most popular grills for you.
Tip: Practical hedge trimmers can be found in our guide to hedge trimmers.
Current Offers Of Grill Grates
You can find the best current offers on barbecue grills in this list.
FAQ About The Grill Grates
How do I clean the grill grate?
Before cleaning, the grill grate should cool down to avoid burns. Then wrap the grill grate in wet paper and let it rest for a few hours. The soaked grill grate can now be cleaned of dirt with a sponge or brush
How do I get a grill grate clean?
The cold grill grate should be wrapped in wet paper and then soaked for a few hours. After that, any kind of food residue can usually be removed.
How do I remove rust from the grill grate?
To remove rust, the grill grate should be wrapped in wet newspaper when cold. After a few hours of exposure, a wire brush or sponge can be used to remove the rust.
Why does meat stick to the grill grate?
The proteins contained in meat cause it to stick to the grill grate. In the event of sudden, intense heat, these stick to the struts of the grill grate.
Which brush to use for cleaning an enameled grill grate?
A normal brush is sufficient for light soiling. Rust or stubborn dirt can be removed with a wire brush.
Which is better? Enameled or chrome-plated grill?
This question depends on personal preferences and cannot be answered universally. Check out our product recommendations and compare which grill grate suits you best.
Grease the grill grate – with what?
Olive and rapeseed oil are good for greasing the grill grate.
How often should the grill grate be greased?
A grill grate should be burned in 2 to 3 times before use.
Grill grate – how around?
The grill grate should be placed on the grill with the crossbars facing up. This creates a nice pattern on the grill food.
Garden and more
- The 7 best garden rollers – guide
- The 8 best garden huts for storage – guidebook
- The 7 best garden hoses – guidebook
- The 8 best garden showers
- The 10 best garden shower screens – guidebook
- The 105 best garden toys – guidebook
- The 10 most popular lawn spreaders
- The 10 best electric lawn mowers with cable – guidebook
- The 20 best lawn mowers – guidebook
- The 7 best lawn mowers from Gardena – guidebook