Table of contents
Coffee grinders are still popular in everyday life , as coffee that you grind yourself often tastes more aromatic and intense. Nowadays, there are also electric coffee grinders that grind the coffee much faster. However, conventional hand-operated coffee grinders can still be purchased in stores. Since the selection is therefore very large, we want to help you in the decision-making process .
Our checklist shows you what to consider when it comes to manually operated and electric coffee grinders. The product recommendations also provide you with initial incentives to buy so that you can soon make your own coffee.
- Basically, coffee grinders differ in the type of drive.
- Electric coffee grinders: They are very practical when things have to be done quickly. The bean is ground within a few seconds at the push of a button and you usually don’t have to worry about anything else. You should opt for such a grinder if you drink coffee regularly and you don’t always want to grind the beans by hand. However, a disadvantage is that this is very loud in comparison. Also, you should pay attention to whether you have the necessary space for such a coffee grinder, as they are usually very large.
- Manually operated coffee grinders: The use of a manually operated coffee grinder is definitely more elaborate, but it is a gentle grinding method in which the coffee aromas are optimally preserved. It is also much lighter and quieter than an electric coffee grinder. It does not require electricity and can therefore be taken anywhere.
- For a coffee grinder, the degree of grinding is also crucial.
- Different types of coffee and coffee specialties require different finely ground beans.
- Therefore, the grind of the grinder should be adjustable. The choice of grind must always be made depending on the preparation method. There are also fine (for espresso), medium (for filter coffee), or coarse (for stamppot) grinds.
- If you use the coffee grinder in combination with a portafilter machine, make sure that the coffee grinder is compatible with it. However, a coffee grinder with a disc grinder is suitable for achieving the best results.
- Propeller grinders (also impact grinders ): These are inexpensive and usually installed in electric grinders. The bean is ground here with the aid of two rotating blades. Here, however, it is difficult to obtain a uniform coffee powder. The beans may still roast due to the heat, which is why the coffee may taste burnt or bitter.
- Disc grinders: These grind the beans using two discs that rotate against each other. They lie close together on the outside so that the bean can be ground finer and finer. The degree of grinding can also be changed accordingly by increasing the distance between the grinding discs. These are discs that are made of steel or ceramic and can last a very long time if used properly.
- Roller grinders (also called long-run grinders): These grind the beans very slowly through two heavy rollers. There is also no heating, so the bean retains its full flavor. However, most of the time these mills are only used in industry, are correspondingly more expensive and are rarely if ever found on the market.
- Cone mills: These mills have a cone-shaped grinding mechanism and are thus very gentle on the aroma. The degree of grinding is thereby also easily adjustable and the machine also works very quietly.
- Tip: Before buying, consider what coffee you want to drink water and prepare with the coffee grinder. For espresso coffee, it makes sense to take a different coffee grinder than for conventional coffee.
- The speed of a coffee grinder should not be too high, otherwise, too much heat is generated, and the coffee roasts. This may result in a bitter taste. Therefore, 600 to 700 revolutions per minute are recommended to achieve a good result.
- Electric coffee grinders, on the other hand, should have between 150 and 200 watts.
- Size and weight: an electric coffee grinder usually has a capacity of 75 grams and approximate dimensions of 9 x 9 x 17 centimeters. Of course, it can also be larger or smaller. A manually operated coffee maker is usually lighter and has a capacity of 45 centimeters. It is sometimes available in the following dimensions: 19 x 10.4 x 10.4 centimeters.
- The coffee grinder , together with all the existing parts, should be washed out every 14 days, otherwise the performance of the coffee will deteriorate and the taste may also be negatively affected.
- Hand-operated coffee grinders are relatively inexpensive and cost between 12- 50 euros. Electric coffee grinders, on the other hand, are much more expensive and can cost over 100 euros.
Recommended Coffee Grinders
Here you can find the top 10 most popular coffee grinders.
Tip: Here you can get more information about the waffle maker.
The Best Sellers Of Coffee Grinders
We have compiled the most popular coffee grinders for you in this bestseller list.
Tip: Here you can find the best baking molds
Current Offers For Coffee Grinders
Here you will find a selection of offers that are currently available in the coffee grinders section.
FAQ About Coffee Grinders
A coffee grinder is used to make coffee powder. The roasted beans are crushed and ground. The grinding strength depends on the particular use.
If you want to take the time, you can choose a manually operated coffee grinder. However, this is only suitable for small quantities of coffee. If, on the other hand, you need to grind coffee quickly, an electric coffee grinder is the right choice for you.
That is entirely in the eye of the beholder. Many people still like to grind coffee manually, while others go for electric coffee grinders. Both have their advantages and disadvantages. Hand-operated coffee grinders are more costly to operate, but they don’t require electricity. Electric grinders are a lot noisier, but also much less complicated. Nevertheless, they again require electricity.
It is important that the coffee grinder is compatible with a portafilter machine. Therefore, disc grinders are primarily suitable. With this, an optimal grinding result can be guaranteed.
Regular maintenance is important for the coffee grinder. How often it needs to be cleaned depends on how often you use it and how dark roasted the beans are. For frequent use and dark beans, you should clean it weekly.
For external cleaning, you can use a damp microfiber cloth. For the inside of the grinder, however, a cleaning brush with natural bristles is optimal.
This depends on whether you want to buy an electric or manually operated coffee grinder. Manually operated coffee grinders are usually a little cheaper and cost around 12- 50 euros. Electric machines, however, can cost up to 100 euros or even more.
Again, this depends on the type of coffee grinder. For example, there are coffee grinders with a disc grinder, in which the bean is crushed between two discs. Ultimately, you have to decide which type of coffee grinder suits you best, or whether you should opt for an electric grinder where all you have to do is press a button.
Appliances and machines for the kitchen
- The 8 best bread makers – guidebook
- The 6 best freezers – guidebook
- The 9 best rice stoves – guidebook
- The 6 best popcorn machines – guidebook
- The 7 best cotton candy machines – guidebook
- The 8 best freezers for families – guidebook
- The 10 best ice cube makers –guidebook
- The 6 best smoothie makers – guidebook
- The 10 best diet shakes – How to
- The 10 best types of squeezers – guidebook
Cutlery and sets for the kitchen
- The 10 best cook cutlery sets – guidebook
- The 10 best cutlery sets for children – guidebook
- The 8 best barbecue cutlery sets – guidebook
- The 8 best pans for the kitchen – Guidebook
- The 12 best saucepan sets – guidebook
- The 15 best chef’s knives – guidebook
- The 10 best children’s tableware sets – guidebook