Microwave ovens are especially popular when things have to be done a little faster. Which household can still be imagined without them? None! But what should you look for when choosing one?
We want to help with our checklist with the most important aspects and direct product recommendations. Let us inspire you a little!
- You can use a conventional microwave oven for defrosting food and heating various dishes.
- With special microwave dishes you can also cook.
- Combination ovens, which are equipped with hot air or grill, can additionally be used for baking, gratinating and grilling.
- Small appliances for one- or two-person households have an interior volume starting at 13 liters. Larger appliances have a volume of up to 20 liters.
- Combination ovens are generally larger, as they are intended to replace the oven.
- Microwave ovens can be free-standing. Special models can be integrated into the kitchen unit as built-in appliances or they can be underbuilt.
- Microwaves have a power of 700 to 900 watts.
- Combination appliances can have 900 to 1000 wat ts.
- If an ECO function is available, this reduces energy consumption in standby.
- Microwave ovens have different power levels, which you can select as needed on a rotary knob, via buttons or via a digital display.
- The operating time can be set up to 30 minutes via a timer.
- As soon as the set time has elapsed, a signal tone sounds.
- Some microwave ovens have an automatic weight setting. This automatically sets the optimal power level.
- Microwaves are equipped with a glass plate that rotates during operation. This allows the food to be heated evenly.
- In some models, this returns to its original position after the program ends.
- The turntable should be removable for easier cleaning.
- Energy-saving LED lighting allows you to look through the glass window into the interior during use.
- If a digital display is available, you can also use it as a kitchen clock, as the time is displayed in stand-by.
- Microwave ovens must meet strict safety requirements, they have an electrical or mechanical interlock, sometimes a child safety lock.
- The GS seal for tested safety should be visible on the nameplate.
- If the manufacturer has followed all the required guidelines, you will also find the CE mark.
Table of contents
Recommended Microwave Ovens
We have compiled the best and most interesting microwave ovens. You can find the list with our product recommendations here.
Tip: For afterwards, it doesn’t hurt to take a look at our guide to Meal-Prep Boxes.
The Best Sellers Of Microwave Ovens
In a list of bestsellers we have compiled the most popular microwave ovens for you.
Tip: For the little ones, check out our guide to muslin diapers.
Current Offers Of Microwave Ovens
You can find the best current offers on microwave ovens in this list.
FAQ For Microwave Ovens
The microwave oven gets its name for a reason, because it generates “microwaves,” or low-frequency electromagnetic waves. These influence water molecules in the food, causing them to rotate. And that leads to the desired effect: your dish becomes deliciously warm
The first microwaves in the form of household appliances were developed in 1950, and the patent was awarded on January 24 – to a man named Percy LeBaron Spencer.
Which microwave is the best depends on your needs. Is a defrost and reheat function enough for you, or do you also want hot air or an extra-large appliance? We have selected the best microwaves and summarized them in our guide.
Here you should follow the individual manufacturer’s instructions. It always depends on the respective filling level of the pillow. As a rule, two minutes is appropriate.
Metal has a high electrical conductivity. In conjunction with the microwaves, dangerous sparks can be generated here
Avoid all metal objects as well as aluminum objects
That depends on the situation. Some microwaves can also be installed in the kitchen. Please have a look at our checklist and product recommendations
Everything For The Kitchen
- The best kitchen appliances for the household – guidebook
- The top 5 WLAN refrigerators – guidebook
- The best refrigerators and freezers – guidebook
- The 8 best freezers for families – Guidebook
- The 6 best freezers – guidebook
- The 8 best ovens – guidebook
- The 8 best fridges for families – guidebook
- The 6 best fridges for drinks at home – How to guide
- The 10 best coffee grinders – How to choose
- The 8 best coffee makers – How to choose
- The 10 best dishwashers – Guidebook
- The 8 best pans for the kitchen – Guidebook
- The 10 best kitchen scales – guidebook