You always wanted to sew your own clothes and be creative? Then a sewing machine is just the thing for you. With a sewing machine, you can create your own clothes and use different fabrics. If you are already skilled in the use of the sewing machine, you can even attach buttons or zippers with the help of the sewing machine. Self-sewn clothing is also a beautiful and especially individual gift!
To help you find the right sewing machine for you, we have prepared a checklist for you. In our product recommendations you can then take a look at a variety of great sewing machines.
- Free-arm sewing machines with foot pedal are the classics among household sewing machines.
- Computerized sewing machines have a display that controls the individual sewing programs.
- If necessary, you can expand the pre-installed program by purchasing new modules.
- Overlock sewing machines are suitable for serging sewing pieces and are especially interesting for those who like to sew clothes frequently.
- Weight and size depend on the particular model chosen. However, most sewing machines weigh between 1 and 5 kilograms and have these or similar dimensions: 27.4 * 26 * 12 cm.
- You can choose between electronic and mechanical models. As a rule, they have an electric motor. However, you can also find smaller sewing machines, which are powered by batteries.
- Other models, however, need to be connected to the power supply in order to work optimally with them. Therefore, you can not place such a machine anywhere in the room, but always need a power outlet nearby.
- Straight stitch and zigzag stitch are standard features. You can use them for almost everything.
- Inexpensive free-arm sewing machines are usually sufficient for home use if you only want to sew thin fabrics or are just starting out.
- They work much slower than the heavy-duty or industrial sewing machines.
- If you sew a lot and like to try new things, it’s a good idea to invest in a computerized sewing machine that offers a variety of functions and stitch programs.
- If you want to sew thicker fabrics, for example, imitation leather, leather, jeans, or several layers of fabric (for example, for garments), you need a sewing machine with a stronger motor, as this can prick the needle more strongly.
- In addition, the foot must then be able to be adjusted accordingly high.
- Overlock sewing machines are not a substitute for a normal sewing machine, since you cannot sew in buttonholes or zippers with them, for example. They are merely a useful addition.
- An integrated lighting system always ensures optimal lighting conditions.
- If you sew clothes yourself, an automatic buttonhole function is helpful.
- Small extras, such as an automatic thread trimmer, are not absolutely necessary, but they do make working more pleasant.
- Maintenance materials, such as screwdrivers and sewing machine oil, are included. Likewise, at least one bobbin is included. If you need more, you can always buy them, since the sizes are standardized.
- Different feet, for example plastic/Teflon feet for leather or stretchy fabrics, zipper or buttonhole feet, are not always included.
- Also, you usually have to buy needles for extra thick fabrics and leather needles separately.
- Some computer sewing machines can also embroider. This may require an extra module, which can sometimes be purchased separately.
Table of contents
Recommended Sewing Machines
We have compiled the best and most interesting sewing machines. You can find the list with our product recommendations here.
Tip: In this article you can learn more about the best ironing stations
The Best Sellers Of Sewing Machines
In a list of bestsellers we have compiled the most popular sewing machines for you.
Tip: Here you can find out about the best tumble dryers
Current Offers Of Sewing Machines
You can find the best current offers on sewing machines in this list.
FAQ for sewing machines
A sewing machine is a handy device with which you can sew your own clothes. It is also good for smaller detail work.
Which sewing machine is suitable depends on individual goals and sewing experience. For example, there are special professional machines. For beginners or occasional hobby use, the classic version with foot pedal is particularly suitable. If you want special functions, you should check beforehand whether the sewing machine you have chosen is suitable for them.
It is not possible to make a general statement about which sewing machine is suitable for beginners. However, the classic variant with foot pedal is very popular. As a rule, a machine with basic equipment is sufficient for beginners, i.e. without special functions such as zigzag seams. Take a look at our guide, there we have listed the best sewing machines.
An overlock sewing machine can serge, accurately trim and sew fabrics at the same time. This method of operation is called overlock stitch.
A sewing machine can cost up to 230 euros or more.
A sewing machine has approximately the dimensions 27.4 * 26 * 12 cm. Of course, there are also smaller or larger models. Therefore, before buying, consider whether the sewing machine can fit in your room.
A sewing machine can weigh up to 5 kilograms. However, there are also lighter models, which have a weight of about 1 kilogram.
With a sewing machine you can perform a straight stitch and a zigzag stitch. In addition, you can sew different fabrics, such as leather, jeans or plastic without any problems. A thread trimmer or an integrated light provide additional functions. Some sewing machines also have a foot pedal with which you can sew.
In addition, you need to purchase the appropriate needles for the sewing machine if you want to work with particularly thick fabrics. But also screwdrivers and sewing machine oil are important so that the machine always works properly,
Smaller sewing machines can be powered by batteries. However, most models have a motor. Some sewing machines also need to be constantly connected to the power supply so that you can work with them.
- The 8 best irons – guidebook
- The 9 best automatic ironers – guidebook
- The 12 best tumble dryers – guidebook
- The 15 best clothes drying racks – How to guide
- The 7 best WLAN washing machines – How to
- The 12 best washing machines – guidebook
- The 9 best ironing stations – guidebook
- The best cleaning devices for at home – Guidebook
- The 9 best pipe cleaners – guidebook
- The 9 best pipe cleaning spirals – guidebook
- The 9 best robotic vacuum cleaners for home – guidebook
- The 9 best vacuum cleaners for home – Guidebook
- The 10 best vacuum cleaners with wiping function – Guidebook
- The 10 best handheld vacuum cleaners – Guidebook
- The 7 best cordless vacuum cleaners – guidebook
- The 6 best robotic mowers for the garden – guidebook
- The 7 best robotic mops – guidebook
- The 6 best hose boxes from Gardena – Advisor
- The 7 best lawn mowers by Gardena – guidebook
- The 5 best water sockets from Gardena – Guidebook
- The 8 best square sprinklers from Gardena – guidebook
- The 4 best Gardena scarifiers – guidebook
- The 6 best sprinkler systems from Gardena – Guidebook
- The 6 best hose reels from Gardena – Guidebook
- The 6 best lawn sprinklers from Gardena – Guidebook
- The 5 best hedge trimmers from Gardena – Guidebook
- The 8 best irrigation systems from Gardena – Guidebook