We have compared a huge selection of sleeping pads and selected the best models for you. In addition: Bestsellers and current offers for sleeping mats at a glance!
We have not only compiled a checklist with the most important criteria for sleeping mats, but also many product recommendations for you.
- Insulation mats are designed to provide good cold insulation and a comfortable place to sleep.
- There are foam insulating mats, air mattresses and self-inflating insulating mats.
- Check the R-value. It indicates what temperatures the mat can compensate. The higher it is, the better the mat is for very low temperatures.
- There are single mats (50cm to 65cm width), two-man mats (about 140cm width) and mats that cover the entire tent floor . For this you have to be aware of your tent size.
- The length is individual. There are mats that only go up to the hips. If you attach great importance to comfort, you should look that the mat goes from head to toe.
- Most mats are between 0.5cm and 10cm thick (comfort mat).
- The weight can range from under 0.5kg to over 1kg depending on the material and size. So when buying, pay attention to the manufacturer’s specifications.
- The most comfortable sleeping pad is probably the air mattress. However, the self-inflating insulation mat is usually preferred because it has the easiest handling.
- Rule of thumb: the thicker the mat, the more comfortable the sleeping place.
- You can also put several versions on top of each other, e.g. a foam mat for additional insulation under a comfortable air mattress.
- For hikes or trips with little space for luggage and/or long distances, air mattresses are rather less suitable. The required air pump takes up a lot of space and is an inconvenient extra weight.
- A mat quickly takes up a lot of space: orient yourself when buying also on the size in folded / rolled up state.
- Foam mattresses are also rather difficult if you need the most manageable luggage possible.
- Means of choice to save luggage: self-inflating sleeping pads. Because these can be folded and do not require a pump.
- The suitability of a mat is always dependent on your individual needs. However, here is a little guidance on which choice is most popular.
- Camping with trunk: if the space is available, an air mattress is recommended.
- Trekking: self-inflating insulating mats (small pack size, high comfort).
- Tent camping (children): foam mat, as its function is not affected even if damaged.
Recommended Camping Mats
Here you will find the top 10 camping mats.
Tip: Many great recommendations for camping chairs can be found in our The 8 best camping chairs for kids – guide.
The Best Sellers Of Camping Mats
We have compiled the most popular isomats for you in this bestseller list.
Tip: You can find many great rubber boots for kids in our The 10 best rubber boots for kids – guide.
Current Offers For Isomatten
Here you will find a selection of offers that are currently available in the area of sleeping mats.
FAQ For Sleeping Mats
An insulating mat is a sleeping pad that is used when camping/trekking. A distinction is made between foam insulating mats, air matt resses and self-inflating insulating mats. Foam mats were the first insulating mats that existed. Today, air mattresses convince with their comfort and self-inflating is omats with their handiness.
Which insulating mat is best depends on the needs of the user. Foam mats are the best known. While they insulate well, they tend to be hard and less comfortable to sleep on. Air mattresses tend to be more comfortable, but require an air pump (more luggage and more weight) and do not always insulate adequately. Self-inflating sleeping pads, on the other hand, combine the advantages of foam mats and air mattresses. The insulation is usually quite good and you don’t lie so hard.
Self-inflating sleeping mats are folded or rolled up. In the process, the air flows from the inside to the outside. When you then unfold the mat again, the material (foam) automatically absorbs the air inside. As soon as you open the closure, the material spreads out and the sleeping mat fills with air.
Camping mats are available in many outdoor and sports stores. Particularly convenient is the purchase through portals such as amazon.de, particularly recommended is, for example, the self-inflating mat from SKODDE from our product recommendations.
More On The Topic
- The 10 best awnings for camping – guidebook
- The 8 best tunnel tents for camping – guidebook
- The 10 best trekking tents for camping – guidebook
- The 8 best steep wall tents for camping – guidebook
- The 8 best 6-man tents for camping – guidebook
- The 8 best 4 man tents for camping – guidebook
- The 8 best 3 man tents for camping – guidebook
- The 8 best 2 man tents for camping – guidebook
- The 8 best sleeping bags for camping – guidebook
- The 10 best camping equipment for family vacations – guidebook
- The 8 best sleeping bags for children – Guidebook
- The 9 best radiant heaters – Guidebook
- The 7 best outdoor heaters – guidebook
Equipment For Children
- The 6 best children’s boots for outdoors – guidebook
- The 8 best rain covers for strollers – guidebook
- The 9 best Aigle rubber boots for kids – How to guide
- The 11 best jackets for children – guidebook