You would like to go camping soon and don’t know exactly which tent to choose? Maybe a dome tent is just the right model for you! Depending on the chosen size, it offers space for several people, so that you can camp together with your friends or family. Another advantage is certainly that you can set up the tent within a short time and thus do not have to waste more time with the sometimes quite annoying assembly. Then nothing stands in the way of a relaxing tent vacation!
To learn more about the material and the assembly of a dome tent, we have compiled a suitable checklist for you. Don’t forget to take a look at our product recommendations afterward. If you are still unsure before buying, you can look for more inspiration here.
- Dome tents require little floor space. They tend to be round in design, which is why they are also called igloo tents. They usually offer space for two to four people.
- Many models are freestanding and sometimes stable without fixation . Some dome tents require a peg at the corners to secure them to the ground.
- Dome tents can be erected within a short time with a few simple steps. This is an advantage in case of approaching storms.
- When erected, dome tents can be carried to another location without much effort.
- A disadvantage is the relatively large pack size compared to tunnel tents. If you travel a lot, you have to take this into account, but otherwise, you will have a lot of fun with a dome tent.
- Good dome tents for three people have a weight of about 4 kg.
- Per person should be calculated about 75 cm width for sleeping. The number of people then determines the necessary size of the tent.
- Tent floor and outer tent should have at least a water column of 3000 mm, so that the dome tent remains waterproof during prolonged land rain.
- Closable air vents provide the necessary air circulation in hot outdoor temperatures.
- The entrance area ideally has a built-in mosquito net.
- The groundsheet should be raised on the outside to prevent dirt or moisture from getting inside.
- Some dome tents are inflatable and geodesic in design. They consist of the frame, outer tent, and inner tent components. The frame is inflated using a hand pump, pulling the tent along. Within a few minutes such a dome tent stands.
- Due to their round construction, dome tents can easily withstand stronger winds.
- The interior height of a good dome tent should be one meter or more.
- Some models have a convenient vestibule for stowing luggage and are separated from the sleeping area.
- Interior pockets built into the floor of the tent for stowing keys or glasses round out the range of a good dome tent.
- A separate ground cover is available for some models. This provides additional protection against branches and sharp stones on rough ground. It can also be used as a base during pitching and dismantling. The ground cover weighs about 400 grams on average and is a useful addition.
Recommended Dome Tents
We have collected a few of the most beautiful dome tents for you.
Tip: In this article you can learn more about the best camping equipment for family vacations.
The Best Sellers Of Dome Tents
In a list of bestsellers we have compiled the most popular dome tents for you.
Tip: For even more comfort, you can find the best awnings for campinghere.
Current Offers Of Dome Tents
You can find the best current offers on dome tents in this list.
FAQ Dome Tents
Dome tents are popularly used for camping and are referred to as such because they are similar in design to a dome or even an igloo. To build this, three poles are needed, which cross at certain points. One of the advantages of these tents is that you can set them up in a very short time. However, compared to tunnel tents, dome tents are not as easy to roll up.
The price range is 50 – 2000€. It depends on how many people should fit into the tent.
Basically, camping tents can be distinguished between tunnel tents, dome tents, teepee tents and steep wall or house tents.
A dome tent usually offers space for two to four people. However, you can purchase even larger ones. You should always keep in mind before buying that each person needs about 75 cm of space so that there is still some comfort.
A high-quality dome tent can weigh up to 4 kilograms.
It is important to have air openings so that the air can circulate properly. But a mosquito net is also an advantage, especially on hotter days. Some dome tents are even inflatable, which further simplifies the setup. To store small items such as glasses, handkerchiefs or keys, small and larger inner pockets are practical. This way you can also keep things tidy inside the tent and always know exactly where each item is. An awning provides additional comfort.
A dome tent should be waterproof in any case, so that you are not surprised by the rain at night. Therefore, make sure that the dome tent you choose has a water column of at least 3000 mm. It is designed to withstand even stronger winds. You can also avoid dirt and moisture by pulling up the groundsheet..
The purchase of an additional floor protection can be useful, so that you do not constantly feel sharp stones or branches when walking in the tent. This weighs about 400 grams. If you like to sit down in front of the tent, you should not do without folding chair.
Many dome tents are made of polyester. This material is very tear-resistant and robust. In addition, it can keep moisture out optimally. The poles, on the other hand, are usually made of aluminum and are therefore very durable.
- The 15 best tepee tents for kids – guidebook
- The 13 best children’s tents for indoors & outdoors – guidebook
- The 10 best awnings for camping – guidebook
- The 8 best tunnel tents for camping – guidebook
- The 10 best trekking tents for camping – guidebook
- The 8 best steep wall tents for camping – guidebook
- The 8 best 6-man tents for camping – guidebook
- The 8 best 4 man tents for camping – guidebook
- The 8 best 3 man tents for camping – guidebook
- The 8 best 2 man tents for camping – guidebook
- The 8 best 1 man tents for camping – guidebook
- The 10 best family tents for camping – How to guide
- The 15 best camping tents – Guide
- The 10 best inflatable tents for camping – guidebook
- The 7 best inflatable tents – guidebook
- The 10 best camping equipment for family vacations – Guidebook
- The 7 best camping tables for families – Guidebook
- The 8 best camping chairs for kids – guidebook
- The 10 best camping stoves for the family vacation – Guidebook
- The 10 best camping guides for family vacations in Austria – Guidebook
- The 10 best camping guides for dfamily vacations in Croatia – Guidebook
- The 10 best camping guides for family vacations in Italy – Guidebook
- The 8 best camping barbecues – Guidebook
- The 10 best camping pavilions – Guidebook
- The 10 best camping guides for family vacations in Germany – Guidebook