The next bike trip should take place further away or the bikes should go on vacation? Then a bike rack for the trailer hitch must not be missing! We can help you find the best model because there are a lot of things to consider here. In our checklist, you will find out all the important purchase criteria and the product recommendations will make your decision easier. After that, nothing stands in the way of the bike tour!
- Just like the roof bike rack, the bike rack for the trailer hitch is available in several sizes. Common are models with rails for 3 or 2 bikes. Somewhat rarer, but certainly available are models for 1 or 4 bicycles.
- Under certain circumstances, bicycle carriers with a flexible rail system are available. So you can always decide for yourself how many holding devices for how many bicycles are mounted.
- A rail spacing of less than 190 mm will cause the bicycles to rub against each other during transport.
- A sufficiently high rail sp acing is especially important when transporting expensive pedelecs.
- Good access to the trunk is important on longer trips. When the carrier is loaded, this can only be maintained with a folding mechanism.
- For vans and high-roof station wagons with very large tailgates, there are some swiveling versions.
- Each AHK bike carrier is offered with a maximum load capacity(under 36 kg to over 65 kg). Accordingly, you should put all your bikes on the scale before buying.
- Add the weight of the bikes with the empty weight of the carrier. The result must not exceed the drawbar load of the car. This can be found in the operating instructions of the car and in the vehicle registration.
- Bicycle carriers with their own rear lights and license plate holder must be connected to the car’s electrical system. Depending on the vehicle, a plug connector with 13 or 7 poles is required for this.
- Bicycle carriers should have a reasonable anti-theft device. This is not the case with some cheaper models.
- For space-saving storage at home, specimens that fold compactly are a good choice.
- For non-foldable copies may be a kit for wall mounting.
Table of contents
Recommended Bike Carriers For The Trailer Hitch
Here you can find the top 8 most popular bike racks for the trailer hitch.
Tip: You can find many great cargo bikes in our guide for cargo bikes
The Best Sellers Of Bike Racks For Trailer Hitch
We have compiled the most popular bike carriers for the trailer hitch for you in this bestseller list.
Tip: Practical cargo bikes with electric motor can be found in our guide for cargo e-bikes
Current Offers For Bicycle Carrier For Trailer Hitch
Here you will find a selection of current offers in the area of bike racks for the trailer hitch.
FAQ For Mountain Bikes For Kids
As a rule, a maximum speed of 120 km/h is prescribed for cars with bike carriers. In a few cases, you are also allowed to drive up to 130 km/h. Here it is important to follow the operating instructions and specifications of the manufacturer of the bike carrier.
If you plan to travel to Spain or Italy, a warning sign must be attached. In all other European countries there is no obligation to attach such a sign.
As a rule, a maximum speed of 120 km/h is prescribed for cars with bicycle carriers. In a few cases, you are also allowed to drive up to 130 km/h. Here it is important to observe the operating instructions and information from the manufacturer of the bike carrier.
In addition to bicycles, other objects or devices may also be transported. For example, boats or tents come into question. However, the height of 4 m and the width of 2.55 m must not be exceeded. In addition, of course, the drawbar load of the bicycle carrier must be observed. Finally, you should make sure that nothing slips and that everything is optimally secured.
More On The Topic
- The best children’s bikes – guide
- The 10 best children’s bikes with 12 inches – guidebook
- The 10 best children’s bicycles with 14 inches – guidebook
- The 20 best children’s bicycles with 16 inch – guidebook
- The 10 best children’s bicycles with 18 inch tire size – guidebook
- The 15 best children’s bikes with 20 inch tire size – guidebook
- The 10 best children’s bicycles with 24 inch tire size – guidebook
- The 10 best children’s bikes with 26 inch tire size – guidebook
- The 8 best Haibike electric bikes – guidebook
- The 10 best 26 inch electric bikes
- The 10 best cargo bikes – guidebook
- The 6 best cargo e-bikes – guidebook