Children’s bike seats should be safe and stable. If you are currently looking for one, you can find out here what you should pay attention to when buying one. Our checklist gives you a first overview and our concrete product recommendations help you to make a final choice today. So nothing stands in the way of your next bike tour.
Table of contents
The Bestsellers Of The Children’s Bike Seats
We have compiled the most popular children’s bike seats for you in this bestseller list.
Kids Bike Seat Checklist
- Your toddler must be at least 9 months old and able to sit freely
- You as the driver – for example, as the older sister – must have reached the age of sixteen.
- If you want to ride your infant in a front seat, it must not weigh more than 15 kg .
- A rear seat is suitable for children weighing more than 15 kg .
- A 3-point seat belt with child restraint must be available as a minimum.
- A 5-point belt is even better, especially for slender children.
- The buckle must not be able to be opened by your child.
- The legs and feet are ideally protected along the entire length by a plastic surround. This prevents trouser legs or shoelaces from getting into the spokes.
- It must be possible to adjust the height of the footrest and secure the feet themselves with straps.
- With front seats, steering is limited and your child is less protected in the event of a frontal collision. The turning circle is larger. Driving stability is better because the center of gravity is further forward.
- With rear seats, you cannot see your child, but your handlebars are more flexible. Your child is better protected in frontal accidents. The center of gravity is further back. As a driver, you have to get used to this.
- The padding should be removable and washable .
- The harness should be adjustable in height through special harness slots and have good padding .
- The back should have ventilation slots to prevent heat buildup in the summer.
- The headrest should be adjustable in height.
Recommended Child Bike Seats
Here you can find the top 10 among the most popular children’s bike seats.
Tip: For the bigger siblings, you can find the best children’s bikes with 26 incheshere.
Current Offers For Children Bikeseats
Here you will find a selection of offers that are currently available in the children’s bike seats section.
Tip: Cycling trip to the lake? How about one of the best RC boats?
FAQ About Children Bike Seats
In any case, your child must already be able to sit independently if it is to ride on your bike. You should also pay attention to what the manufacturer recommends (also: weight) and not start the bike ride before the 9th month of life.
Your little darling must be at least 9 months old if he or she is to ride on your bike. Often, however, this may still be too early, because each child develops individually and an important prerequisite for riding in a child seat is that the baby can sit freely. In addition, always check the manufacturer’s specifications and the specific instructions for the product.
There is a fixed regulation on this, which you can also read in the StVO. There it says that your child may be taken along in the child seat up to the age of 7 at the most. The same also applies to trailers. Important to know: The driver must be at least 16 years old and the seat/trailer must of course be equipped accordingly, so that the feet of the children do not get into the spokes or other accidents happen. You should therefore always individually check the requirements and of course attach great importance to safety and the product specifications – the weight of the child plays a major role in child seats.
From a weight of 15 kg your child must ride on a rear seat on your bike, before that there is still the alternative of a front seat. Please have a look at our guide, there you will find all important information about this topic.
Your child is only allowed to ride in the front up to a maximum weight of 15 kg. In our guide on the subject, you can learn about the advantages and disadvantages of a front seat. You will also find the same information about rear seats.
Bicycles by tire size
- The 10 best children’s bikes with 12 inches
- The 10 best children’s bikes with 14 inches
- The 20 best children’s bicycles with 16 inches
- The 10 best children’s bicycles with 18 inches
- The 15 best children’s bicycles with 20 inches
- The 10 best children’s bicycles with 24 inch
- The 10 best 26 inch electric bikes