Your trunk is too small and you need more storage space? Then a roof rack is the right thing for you to expand your storage space.
You can find out what to look for when buying a roof rack and which variants are available in our checklist. You can find a selection of practical roof racks in the product recommendations.
- The size of roof rack needed depends on the size of the load. However, the following applies: as large as necessary and as small as possible.
- A smaller roof box with a size of about 250 to 300 liters volume is suitable for a large trunk and little additional storage space needed.
- Large roof boxes with a volume of up to 500 liters are the right choice if you need a lot of additional space, whereby the box should in no case protrude over the back or front of the car.
- Depending on the type of load, you should use additional safety nets, fastening straps or ski carriers for fasten ing.
- If your car already has roof rails, then you only need a vehicle-specific base carrier to attach the roof rack.
- If your car has fixed points that are often covered with a plastic part, you will need load carrier feet in addition to the base carrier, which are also vehicle-specific.
- If your car has neither roof rails nor fixed points, there are also brackets that are attached to the door frame. You can attach the basic carrier and the roof rack to these.
- When attaching the roof rack, you should get support from 1 to 2 people, depending on the size of the carrier or the box.
- If you need a roof rack that is sturdy and quiet, you should choose a polyester material with fiberglass reinforcement.
- Particularly lightweight boxes are made of either fiberglass or environmentally friendly thermoplastic terpolymers (ABS).
- Regardless of the material, the roof rack should have a high-quality finish to prevent it from slipping or opening while driving.
- Make sure the carrier is sturdy as well as UV resistant and waterproof.
- Roof racks with a GS mark and a CE mark or TÜV certification offer high quality and a lot of safety.
Table of contents
Recommended Roof Racks
We have compiled the best and most interesting roof racks.
Tip: You can find exciting recipe ideas in our guide to raclette grills.
The Best Sellers Of Roof Racks
In a list of bestsellers we have compiled the most popular roof racks for you.
Tip: You’ll find simple ways to protect your bike in our guide to alarm systems.
Current Offers Of Roof Racks
You can find the best current offers on roof racks in this list.
FAQ About Roof Racks
There is no basic regulation for the maximum speed. It is recommended not to exceed a speed of 130 km/h.
This depends on the size and type of the roof rack as well as the car. You can find information about the maximum load in your vehicle registration document.
A roof rack is an additional way to store luggage in your car. Besides bicycles or boats, additional luggage can also be attached.
The width of the roof rack is not limited, but the luggage must not exceed the width of the car.
More On The Topic
More About Car
- The 5 best car alarm dummies – guidebook
- The best things that make car trips with children easier – guidebook
- The 10 best child seats for the car – Guidebook
- The 10 best car beds – How to
- The 10 best camping equipment for family vacation – guidebook
- The 12 best guidebooks for family vacations in Spain – Guidebook
- The 10 best camping stoves for family vacations – guidebook
- The 10 best camping guides for family vacations in Austria – Guidebook
- The 10 best camping guides for family vacation in Croatia – Guidebook
- The 10 best camping guides for family vacations in Italy – Guidebook