A good mattress is very important for the healthy development of your child’s spine and for a balanced sleep. For this purpose, you can choose from a wide variety of materials as well as various heights and depths . Of particular importance is the degree of hardness, because this determines not only the comfort of the mattress, but also its usefulness.
In our checklist, we will go into more detail about the most important features of the children’s mattress. After that, you can find the best children’s mattresses on the market in our product recommendations.
- Breathable materials such as cold foam or foam are ideal for the children’s mattress.
- In addition, you should pay attention to the GS mark (e.g. Öko Test) for the safety of your child. This guarantees that the mattress contains no harmful substances and therefore poses no danger to your child.
- Wetness protection is very practical in case one or the other accident happens.
- The size of your child is crucial for choosing the optimal size of the mattress . As a rule of thumb, take the size of your child and add 20 cm of height.
- For babies and toddlers, thin mattresses (about 10 cm) are sufficient, as their body weight is not yet that heavy.
- The degree of firm ness of the mattress should be neither too high nor too low.
- If the mattress is too soft, there is a risk of suffocation, especially for babies, as they can easily sink in.
- A mattress that is too hard is harmful to the spine, because it puts strain on it and thus ensures improper development.
- A medium thickness is optimal. This avoids the risk of suffocation and relieves the spine, so that optimal development can take place.
Tip: You can find many great play options in our guide to the best department stores.
Table of contents
Recommended Children’s Mattresses
We have compiled the best and most interesting children’s mattresses. You can find the list with our product recommendations here.
Baby Mattresses 60×120 cm (up to approx. 3 years)
Children’s Mattresses 70×140 cm (up to approx. 6 years)
Children’s Mattresses 90×200 cm (from approx. 7 years)
Tip: There are great home improvement products for you in our guide to the best pool accessories.
The Best Sellers Of Children’s Mattresses
In a list of bestsellers we have compiled the most popular children’s mattresses for you.
Current Offers Of Children Mattresses
You can find the best current offers on children’s mattresses in this list.
FAQ About Kids Mattresses
The optimal size of the mattress is 20 cm plus the body height. You should also pay attention to the degree of hardness (optimally medium) and the test seal (e.g. Stiftung Warentest). In terms of material, foam or cold foam are ideal as well as breathable.
When choosing the right size of a mattress, the age of the child is crucial:
– 60×120 cm and 70×140 cm: At the age of 0 to 3 years
– 70×140 cm and 70×160 cm: At the age of 4 to 7 years
– 90×200 cm and above: From 8 years and depending on the height of the body.
For babies and toddlers, a height of about 10 cm is sufficient, as they hardly sink in with their relatively low body weight. For children over 4 years, the height should be increased due to the increasing body weight.
One is especially important because the child’s spine is not yet fully developed. Accordingly, your child needs a mattress that yields in specific places, this provides a children’s mattress.
The children’s mattress should be neither too hard nor too soft, i.e. in the middle range.
More on the topic
- The 9 best baby mattresses – guidebook
- The 5 best mattresses in 90×200 cm – guidebook
- The 5 best mattresses in 70×140 cm – guidebook
- The 5 best mattresses in 60×120 cm – guidebook
- The 7 best baby mattresses – guidebook
- The 10 best air mattresses for swimming – guidebook
- The 6 best bouncing mattresses for children – guidebook
- The 45 best children’s beds – guidebook
- The 7 best children’s beds for girls – guidebook
- The 8 best cribs for boys – guidebook
- The 7 best home cribs for children – guidebook
- The 8 best children’s beds for boys – guidebook
- The 10 best children’s beds in 90 x 200 cm – guidebook
- The 7 best children’s beds in 70 x 140 cm – guidebook