Model trains have always been one of the most popular toys for children. Often, the children’s toy develops into a hobby, which still gives pleasure to many adults.
In our checklist, you can find out what to look for in model trains for children and why the popular H0 gauge is not suitable for small children. We have also put together various product recommendations for you.
- Classic model trains are suitable for children from 6 years old.
- For kids from 3 years, there are simpler and larger designed railroads. They are easier to operate and have no small parts that can be swallowed.
- One drawback of such children’s model trains is that they often cannot be expanded indefinitely.
- A model train starter set can still find room in the living room(length: 1.2 – 2 m; width: 80 cm)
- For a larger railroad landscape, a separate room is better.
- On the package or in the product description you will find information about how much space the tracks need when assembled.
- Model railroading can become a lifelong hobby. Therefore, you should pay attention to expandability right from the start.
- With common scales and track sizes, you can even combine railroads from different manufacturers and expand the track indefinitely.
- In gauge size H0 (pronounced “half zero” or “Ha zero”), the model railroad in scale 1:87 (or in an enlarged version) is suitable for children and can be played on for many years, because it is the most common nominal size.
- The 1:220 scale on the Z gauge, on the other hand, is very true to reality, worked with many details and inspires especially young people and adults.
- Sound, light and opening doors or roofs provide additional fun when playing. In order for the model railroad to flash and whistle, the tracks and trains must be supplied with power via a power supply unit.
- Modern model trains are operated wirelessly, either via infrared or Bluetooth.
- Batteries are required for the control device (such as a joystick, remote control or controller with display), which are not always included.
- High-quality control modules can control several trains at the same time (useful for larger track landscapes).
- In addition to tracks and a train, model trains with figures, buildings or loads are especially useful for younger children.
- Whether playing or moving, sometimes individual tracks get broken or lost. Good manufacturers such as Märklin offer spare parts that you can buy at any time.
Table of contents
Recommended Model Trains
Here you can find the top 8 among the most popular model trains.
Tip: You can find great tents for camping trips in our guide to dome tents.
The Best Sellers Of Model Trains
We have compiled the most popular model trains
Tip: You can find a great selection of airfield hockey tables in our guide to airfield hockey tables.
Current Offers For Model Trains
Here you will find a selection of offers that are currently available in the model trains.
FAQ About Model Trains
Für Kinder unter 6 Jahren ist die Modelleisenbahn im Maßstab 1:220 auf der Spur Z am besten geeignet, da diese keine verschluckbaren Einzelteile enthält.
Für Anfänger empfiehlt sich ein Starter-Set, da dort alle notwendigen Bestandteile einer Modelleisenbahn in einem Paket zusammengefasst sind. Grundsätzlich bieten alle Anbieter am Markt ein solches Set an-
Was die “beste” Modelleisenbahn ist, ist individuell und Geschmackssache. Die populärste Spurweite ist jedoch die Spur H0.
More on the topic
More children’s toys
- The 10 best Viking chess games for children – guidebook
- The 10 best Yakari toys – guidebook
- The 5 best Harry Potter board games – guidebook
- The 10 best toys for 8 year old children
- The 10 best toys for 10 year old kids – guidebook
- The 8 best Polly-Pocket toys – guidebook
- The 6 best Mölkky games – guidebook
More model vehicles
- The 10 best 1:32 scale models from Siku – Guidebook
- The 9 best Siku model cars – guidebook
- The 9 best Schuco model cars – guidebook
- The 10 best RC models from Revell-Control – Guidebook
- The 10 best construction vehicles from Bruder – Guidebook
- The 9 best excavators from Siku – Guidebook
- The 10 best trucks from Siku – Guidebook
- The 7 best fire engines from Siku – Guidebook
- The 6 best Carrera tracks for kids – guidebook