The wooden horse creates a playful atmosphere to enliven your child’s imagination while simulating responsible handling of the real animal. The age of your child, the safety and weather resistance of the horse, as well as possible extras are important points to keep in mind when choosing a wooden horse.
We have listed the most important information for you in our checklist. You can also find the best wooden horses for your child in the product recommendation.
Table of contents
The Bestsellers Of Wooden Horses
In a list of bestsellers we have compiled the most popular wooden horses for you.
Checklist For Wooden Horses
- Some models are offered for children as young as 36 months. These are then rocking horses with appropriate safety devices for small children (including backrest, sidebars, etc.).
- With the classic wooden horse, which is often used as an exercise and vaulting horse, the individual developmental stage of the child should always be taken into account. It should be able to hold on independently and sit securely in the saddle.
- The maximum load in the manufacturer’s specifications should also be considered. Some wooden horses are designed to carry two riders in terms of length and carrying capacity.
- Wooden horses with a higher stick size (approx. from 100 cm), which are to be used primarily also as a vaulting trestle, are recommended rather for older children from an age of 3 to 5 years.
- Some manufacturers offer the option of reordering longer legs for the horse and replacing them with the previous legs. This way, the horse grows with the child.
- Pay attention to a clean processing without splinters, rough wood or similar.
- Even on a wooden horse , your children should wear a safety helmet when “riding” and doing gymnastics.
- To sit comfortably and safely on top, the seat should also be wide enough(from about 35-40 cm).
- The angle at which the horse’s legs stick out must be slanted enough to prevent the animal from tipping over.
- To be on the safe side, you can additionally fix it with ground anchors.
- Wooden horses are often used as outdoor toys. Therefore, a weatherproof finish is important.
- Make sure that the gluing and glazing are weatherproof and that the screws are also suitable for outdoor use.
- If the wooden horse has a mane, this should also be weatherproof, UV-resistant and rot-proof.
- If the horse will not be used for a longer period of time (especially in winter), you should store it in the shed or garage , if possible.
- If the wooden horse has a nice mane or tail, they can be combed and braided.
- There are models that have a movable head. This allows the horse to graze, for example.
- It’s best to find out in advance if the wooden horse comes with accessories such as a bridle, horse blanket and saddle . Some manufacturers have a great, extensive range of accessories, including a lead rope or horse droppings set. This makes playing even more varied.
- Wooden horses are also offered that have an integrated flap. If you open this, you have storage space for grooming supplies and the like.
Recommendable Wooden Horses
We have collected the best and most interesting wooden horses for indoors and outdoors.
Keine Produkte gefunden.
Tip: You can find more play options in our guide to the best Carrera Digital 124 racetracks and cars.
Current Offers Of Wooden Horses
You can find the best current offers on wooden horses in this list.
Tip: For great tips on construction toys, check out our guide to the best experimental kits for kids.
FAQ About The Wooden Horse
The wooden horse is a children’s toy that is used to simulate the handling of a real horse. Your child can thus learn how to handle the real animal. This includes: Riding, saddling, currying and grooming. You can also use the wooden horse as a gymnastics apparatus.
You should choose the size of the wooden horse according to the age of your child. From 3-4 years we recommend a wooden horse with a height of 50-60 cm. From the age of 4 you should choose a wooden horse with a height of 90-100 cm. For brave children, teenagers or adults there are models up to 140 cm. If the horse is too big, you can use a climbing aid.
The price of the wooden horse depends on the size, accessories and brand of the wooden horse. You can buy inexpensive models for as little as 50€. More extensive models can cost you up to 800€.
It depends on the condition and activities of your child on the wooden horse. If you only use the horse for riding exercises, a saddle will certainly give you a more intense feeling and it will also be more comfortable. For gymnastic exercises, however, you do not need a saddle.
The saddle size depends on the size of the wooden horse, every wooden horse has its corresponding saddle.
- The 5 best wooden toys from Fagus – guidebook
- The 12 best wooden toys for children – guidebook
- The 10 best wooden toys from Goki – Guidebook
- The 10 best wooden toys from Matador – Guidebook
- The 8 best wooden toys from Peitz – Guidebook
- The 15 best wooden toys from Hape – Guidebook
- The 8 best wooden toys for babies – guidebook
- The top 9 3D wooden puzzles from Robotime – Guidebook
- The 7 best wooden knight castles for children
- The 10 best wooden swings – Guidebook
- The 8 best wooden marble runs – guidebook
- The 7 best wooden rocking horses – guidebook
- The 8 best hobby horses for children – Guidebook
- The 8 best rocking horses – guidebook
- The 10 best Schleich horses – guidebook
- The 12 best Playmobil horses – Guidebook
- The 10 best Filly horses – guidebook
- The 15 best children’s toys from 10 years – guidebook
- The best children’s toys [bestsellers] – guidebook
- The 10 best Viking chess games for kids – guidebook
- The 10 best Yakari toys – guidebook
- The 10 best garden toys from 1 year – Advisor
- The 15 best Bibi Blocksberg toys – guidebook
- The 8 best diving toys and rings
- The 15 best children’s toys from 10 years – guidebookThe 8 best Polly Pocket toys – guidebook
- The 25 best Schleich toys – guidebook
- The 8 best Polly-Pocket toys – guidebook
- The 7 best magnetic toys – guidebook
- The 20 best toys from 1 year – guidebook
- The best Pikler toys for children – guidebook
- The 105 best garden toys – guidebook
- The 20 best toys for 7 year olds – guidebook
- The 20 best toys for 6 year olds – guidebook
- The 20 best toys for 5 year olds – guidebook
- The 20 best toys for 4 year olds – guidebook
- The 20 best toys for 3 year olds – guidebook
- The 20 best toys for 2 year olds – guidebook