Power generators differ not only in type but also in price. So that you don’t save at the wrong end and find the right power generator for your needs, we have summarized the best power generators and collected important buying criteria in a clear checklist.
Here you can find out today which power generator is suitable for which occasion (e.g. remote vacation home or certain ambient temperatures).
- Gasoline-powered power generators operate at any ambient temperature and are widely used. The required fuel is readily available. There are models with light 2-stroke power units or heavier 4-stroke gasoline engines. The latter is designed for longer run times and does not require a special gasoline-oil mixture.
- Diesel-powered units have lower operating costs. On the other hand, they are more expensive to purchase and pollute the environment with their soot emissions.
- Relatively rare and mostly found only in companies are generators with gas drives. They are efficient and emit fewer pollutants.
- Today, almost only generators with inverter technology are purchased. They convert direct current into alternating current or vice versa.
- Inverter generators run more efficiently. This is because the motor speed is variable and can be adjusted to the required power output.
- Devices without integrated inverters may experience voltage and frequency fluctuations. More sensitive devices such as PCs or modern televisions are damaged by this.
- Portable generators are designed for simple applications (such as camping and gardening). They are available in models with a continuous output of up to 2 kW.
- 2 to 4 kW power generators are significantly heavier. They are designed for stationary applications . Sometimes, nevertheless, they are in a frame with transport wheels.
- Systems with a power of over 5.5 kW are even more complex in design. They are suitable for construction sites or power supply in remote cottages.
- Very comfortable are generators that are not louder than 65 dB. These are usually portable versions in a well-insulated housing.
- Still tolerable noise levels in this segment of equipment are 65 to 75 dB.
- Louder specimens, some of which even exceed 100 dB, should only be purchased for occasional use or as an absolute emergency unit.
- Power generators are available with classic pull-start or convenient electric starter.
- The running time depends on consumption and tank volume. Up to 8 hours are possible with small portable generators.
- You can buy compact generators with two or more Schuko sockets, 12-volt and USB charging ports.
- For professional applications, models with an additional 400-volt output are a good choice.
Table of contents
Recommended Power Generators
Here you can find the top 15 most popular power generators.
Tip: You can find the right jigsaw in our Guide to jigsaws.
The Best Sellers Of Power Generators
We have compiled the most popular power generators for you in this bestseller list.
Tip: You can find the best vise in our guide for vices.
Current Offers For Power Generators
Here you will find a selection of current offers for power generators.
FAQ For Power Generators
A power generator converts energy to generate electricity. Depending on the model, gasoline, diesel or gas is used. You can find detailed information in our guide. There you will find an informative checklist and helpful product recommendations.
The most commonly purchased power generators have inverter technology. This results in direct current being converted to alternating current or vice versa.
Which power generator you need depends on various factors, such as how often you use it and the occasion. The devices have different modes of operation and are sometimes very noisy. The latter is therefore not for everyday use, but rather for emergency use. You can find out exactly what to look out for and what other differences there are in our guide. There, you will find a comprehensive checklist with concrete tips and purchase criteria.
The costs for a power generator vary. Depending on the device, the purchase costs between 100 and 1000 euros. A pretty big price range, isn’t it? To help you better estimate which device you need, feel free to read our guide on the subject, because there you will find the most important differences and specific product recommendations.
The minimum should be 5 hours, better longer of course. Since the devices are powered by fuel, it goes out at the latest when this has been consumed.
Which power generator is the best, can not be said in general terms, because it depends, among other things, on the frequency of use. There are diesel, gasoline and gas-powered power generators. Diesel is cheap, but polluting. Gas operation is rare, but brings advantages such as high efficiency. Gasoline is easy to acquire and suitable for any ambient temperature. Feel free to read through our guide article, there you will find a comprehensive checklist with all the important differences and selection criteria.
How much a power generator consumes depends on the type of device, because not all have the same power. As a rule, gasoline-powered generators consume the most, followed by diesel-powered. Gas generators consume the least, but these are rare and therefore hardly used. Feel free to check out our guide, there you will find important differences, tips and buying criteria.
More On The Topic
- The 15 best tool bags for on the road
- The 10 best tool cases
- The 10 best tool carts
- The 6 best workbenches for the workshop
- The 10 best safety shoes
- The 10 best mobile workbenches
Gift ideas around tools
- The 10 best tool advent calendars 2021
- The 10 best children’s tool sets – guidebook
- The 15 best children’s workbenches