You want to paddle around? Then you definitely need a kayak! With it, you can paddle over waters and have incredible fun. Enjoy great moments in nature with your new kayak.
In our comprehensive checklist we have summarized all the important information for you. You can find suitable models in our product recommendations.
- The shape determines the riding characteristics: Narrow, long kayaks are fast, but not tip-proof. Wide, short kayaks lie well in the water, are relatively tip-proof, but not fast.
- The recommended compromise for beginners is not too long and slightly wider.
- In terms of construction, there are open and closed models.
- In the open version, the rider sits on the kayak rather than in it. This is preferable in case of capsizing for safety reasons, as the rider does not have to free himself from the closed kayak
- Therefore, the open form is recommended for beginners, with the traditional form being the closed kayak.
- Fixed hull kayak: This typical construction is also called a hard hull kayak. Rigid hull kayaks are robust, durable, and score with the best driving characteristics. Disadvantage: high space requirement for storage and transport.
- Air kayaks are also known as inflatable kayaks. Advantage: little space required. Can be inflated quickly with an air pump. Disadvantage: not as robust as hard-shell kayaks, less good handling characteristics, therefore rarely found in the competition.
- Folding kayaks consist of a frame that is put together and covered with a boat skin. Advantage: Just like the air kayak, it requires little space. Driving characteristics are just as good as with classic fixed hull kayaks. Disadvantage: complex construction.
- Hybrid kayaks represent a consistent further development of the folding kayak and combine the advantages of the folding kayak with those of the air kayak. The frame, reduced to the minimum, features the folding construction only in the bottom, while the side walls are made of air tubes.
- Divisible kayaks have been on the market for a relatively short time. They consist of several parts that can be pushed into each other for transport. In terms of handling characteristics, they resemble the classic rigid hull kayaks.
- Packrafts weigh only between two and five kilos and can easily be stowed in a hiking backpack. They are a special form of air kayaks and are popular for tours that take place on water and land, such as hikes that include a lake crossing on the route.
- Kayaking is allowed for any adult. Children, however, may only kayak from the age of 12 and only if accompanied by an adult. Kayaks with 2 seats are recommended.
- Children are allowed to ride as soon as they can sit on their own. However, a life jacket should always be worn.
- You should take care to bring as little luggage as possible. Take only what you really need.
- You should ask yourself when packing: What do you need for a safe stay on the water or for a small camping trip?
- In addition, all your luggage should be packed waterproof.
- Heavy luggage should always be packed downwards. Also, make sure that you load your kayak evenly. If that is not possible, it may be a little heavier in the back. So you can carry your luggage on the deck of the boat.
- Closed kayaks have extra luggage hatches, which are waterproof. You can put small bags there.
Table of contents
Here you will find a selection of the best kayaks for you.
Tip: You can find the best LEGO BrickHeads kits in our LEGO BrickHeads guide.
The Best Kayaks Bestsellers
We have compiled the most popular kayaks for you in this bestseller list.
Tip: For the best LEGO Creator kits , see our LEGO Creator guide.
Current Offers For Kayaks
Here you will find a selection of offers that are currently available in the kayaks section.
“Canoe” is actually a collective term for kayaks and Canadians. In everyday language, however, Canadians are often referred to as “canoes.” In a kayak, you use a double paddle to get around and ride while seated; in contrast, a canoe uses a stand-up paddle and you can ride while seated or on your knees.
You can usually get a cheap inflatable kayak from about 120€. There are no limits to the price. Kayaks made of high-quality materials can cost several thousand euros.
- The 8 best inflatable boats for families – guidebook
- The 6 best inflatable boats with electric motor – guidebook
- The 10 best rowing machines – guidebook
- The 8 best tunnel tents for camping – Guidebook
- The 10 best trekking tents for camping – Guidebook
- The 10 best throwing tents for camping – Guidebook
- The 10 best dome tents – guidebook
- The 8 best pitching tents for camping – guidebook
- The 10 best camping equipment for family vacations – Guidebook
- The 10 best camping stoves for family vacations – guidebook
- The 7 best camping tables for families – guidebook
- The 8 best camping chairs for kids – guidebook
- The 8 best camping barbecues – guidebook