Actually, we know that small children should not be exposed too much to the sun. But what is the ideal sun protection? And which sunscreen is the right one?
Table of contents
Children’s Skin Is Very Sensitive
The skin of infants and young children is particularly sensitive, especially when it comes to sunlight. Their skin is still too thin to build up its own protection against UV radiation. This must first develop. At the same time, however, children need a lot of freedom of movement. If you follow a few rules, you can prevent long-term sun damage.
- Also Interesting:
- The Best Bestway Pools For Children
- Recommended Chlorine Tablets For The Pool
- The Best Swimming Islands
Shade Is The Order Of The Day In The First Year Of Life
Avoid the blazing midday sun and make sure that your child always has a shady spot. If possible, you should not use sunscreen in the first year of life – it unnecessarily stresses the sensitive baby skin.
The Right Sun Protection
Whether in the stroller, on the playground, in the pool, or on the beach – your baby should always be protected from the sun. But now that trees are not everywhere, you sometimes have to come up with something.
- A large umbrella, or a sun sail are ideal shade providers.
- Through the appropriate clothing, your baby can also be protected from the sun. For summer, there are cute baby clothes with long sleeves and legs.
- You can protect the head and neck with a cap with a large peak.
- UV clothing for babies: There are also clothes with a UV protection filter, this should be at least 30.
- Eye protection: a cap is enough for your baby, from nine months you can try sunglasses with UV protection.
Apply Sunscreen Regularly
Sunscreen should have a sun protection factor of 30 and be fragrance-free. Apply it thickly, evenly and repeatedly to your child’s exposed skin. Don’t forget the ears when doing this! You should reapply after bathing.
Even babies can get sunburned.
The Right Sunscreen
The sunscreen should be waterproof because when bathing, or sweating, the sun protection decreases. Choose a cream, because it cares for the skin better than a gel. It is best to choose a special product for children. In the mountains, by the water, as well as in southern countries, you should choose a higher sunblock.
Apply Sunscreen Correctly
- Use enough sunscreen: If you apply too little, the sun protection factor will not be reached.
- Renew sunscreen every two hours: Even waterproof creams, lose some of their protective effect when you bathe and sweat.
- Reapplying sunscreen does not increase the maximum protection time!
Be A Good Example
Children like to emulate adults in their behavior. Your child will find it easier to protect themselves from the risks of the sun if you do the same.