At night, you can least monitor your baby, after all, you also need to sleep. Therefore, the baby crib must be particularly safe. It is practical if the crib can be adjusted and thus grow with your little darling. To make your choice easier, we have compiled a comprehensive checklist with important buying criteria and listed helpful product recommendations below.
With this guide, you can make your decision today. Have fun shopping!
Table of contents
The Bestsellers Of The Baby Beds
In this bestseller list we have compiled the most popular baby beds for you.
Checklist For Baby Beds
- As a rule, baby beds have a size of 70 x 140 cm and are made of wood.
- Some smaller variants are offered with dimensions of 60 x 120 cm.
- Models with other dimensions are rather rare to find.
- The given standard size offers children up to the age of about 3 years enough freedom of movement.
- Make sure that you choose a baby bed with a height-adjustable slatted frame if possible. This way you can adjust the crib to the age of your child and at the same time protect your back, because you don’t have to bend down so far in the first months.
- It is important that the distance between the top edge and the slatted frame must always be at least 30 cm so that your baby cannot fall out of bed.
- On the lowest step , the distance should be at least 60 cm to prevent your child from climbing out.
- Tip: The Baby mattress you often have to buy in addition to the crib.
- Most baby beds are equipped with bars.
- To prevent your child from climbing through them and getting trapped in the worst case scenario, you should pay attention to the distance between the bars. This should be at least 4.5 cm and a maximum of 6.5. cm
- Some beds are equipped with so-called slider bars, which you can remove when your child is a little older. This way your toddler can get out of the bed on his own.
- We advise you to make sure that the baby bed has no sharp corners and edges that could injure your child.
- In addition, the bed should not contain any materials that are harmful to health or contain harmful substances. Appropriate test seals give you the necessary security.
- Many children’s beds can be converted into a junior bed in just a few steps.
- You can remove the bars and replace them with a side panel.
- A practical feature that helps you save a lot of money.
Recommended Baby Beds
Here you can find the top 7 baby beds.
Tip: You can find helpful sleep aids for babies in our guide to sleep aids.
Current Offers Of Baby Beds
Here you can find a collection of current offers on baby beds.
Tip: You can find practical high chairs in our guide to high chairs.
Baby Beds Advice
Which baby crib suits me?
Since the selection of baby beds is really gigantic, you will probably search for days until a bed really suits you. My 5 recommendations are selected so that there should be something for every taste and budget. Find out together with me which bed suits you best. You need to consider how long you want to use the baby bed and, of course, consider the look after conversion to a junior bed. Through removable bars, good models can remain in use for the first three years.
Bed with partially removable bars
You are type A!
If you want to use the baby bed only until toddler age, then you are type A. You have the choice between 3 of my recommendations. To narrow down your choice, you can answer another question to find the perfect bed.
If you don’t care much about how many accessories come with the bed, I recommend the Schardt Felix bed. My other two recommendations for type A, unlike the bed from Schardt, also have a bed set and canopy, but they are also more expensive.
You have not yet found the perfect baby bed for you?
Then take a look at our recommendations for type B, which can be converted into a junior bed without a crib. Also, if you want to buy a new bed after the toddler age, these 3 models are also excellent for the first three years of your child’s life.
Bed with completely removable bars
You are type B!
If you want to use the baby bed beyond toddlerhood, then you are type B. You need a bed that can be used without the grille. However, there is another question: Do you mind if you have to order parts separately for the conversion to a youth bed?
If you want a bed that can be immediately converted into a youth bed, the bed Kuba is the right choice for you. This will save you money that you would otherwise have to spend on additional parts.
With the bed from Clic you pay for a single conversion side about 30 euros, but this investment is worth it. The bed from Clic offers not only comfort, but also a lot of storage space for the toys of your favorite.
FAQ For Baby Beds
It is important that the mattress is made of high-quality materials and without harmful substances. Also, of course, it must fit the dimensions of the crib. It is best to look for appropriate test seals, e.g. Oeko Tex Standard 100. If you would like help in choosing, you are welcome to read our guide to baby mattresses. There you will find not only specific product recommendations, but also important purchase criteria. So you can make a well-founded choice today.
When the baby crib is no longer needed depends on the individual. Some children are eager to climb at a very early age, in which case you must react accordingly. However, if your child is less active and it is safe to use, there is nothing to stop you using the baby crib until the child is 3 years old. Of course, you should always pay attention to the product instructions and manufacturer’s specifications so that, for example, the maximum load limit is not exceeded. Also, if your child becomes too big for the crib, you need a new solution.
How long the baby crib is used is individual. Depending on growth and activity level, earlier or later removal of the bars is recommended. In the case of small climbing mice, of course, you should rebuild accordingly, otherwise the risk of falling is too high.
There are special baby beds that can be adapted to the growth and activity level of your little darling. For example, you can remove all or part of the crib rails, adjust the height of the crib, or add side panels to turn the crib into a toddler bed.
There are different recommendations regarding pillows and baby blankets in the baby crib. Sometimes special flat baby pillows are offered from the first year of life. However, to be on the safe side, you should start using blankets and pillows only from the age of 3.
When you convert the baby crib to the first crib is individual. You should therefore keep a close eye on your child and, if necessary, you can wait until your child is too big and/or heavy for the crib. However, children who are enthusiastic about climbing should not have any more bars, as otherwise accidents are more likely to occur. This is partly already from approx. 1.5 years the case. Another measure is to make the crib lower. So there are still the protective grids, but they can not yet be climbed. This can be useful already at the age of 2 or 3 months, depending on how your little darling moves and behaves.
The standard dimensions for baby cribs are 70 x 140 cm. However, there are also square versions or smaller cribs. The standard version is particularly recommended because its size means it can be used for longer – in some cases up to the age of 3.
A baby crib should be equipped with a suitable baby mattress that is free of harmful substances. The material of the crib (usually wood) must also be harmless. Depending on how long the crib will be used, you can also choose variants that can be adjusted according to age. An example of such an adjustment is the removal of the bars or the adjustment of different heights.
When you should remove the bars from the baby crib is individual and depends on the personal development of your treasure. Some children enjoy using them until they outgrow the crib or become too heavy (i.e., about age 3). Other children start climbing on and over the crib at a very early age. This is of course very dangerous and must be prevented, e.g. by purchasing a new crib or – if possible – by removing the bars and adjusting the height.
In a baby crib, besides a pollutant-free baby mattress , only your child should lie on its back in a special baby sleeping bag. For monitoring, you can choose a baby monitor or a baby monitor with a camera. Cuddly toys, blankets, pillows or other materials that adults and children consider comfortable can, in the worst case, lead to the death of the baby (e.g. by suffocation). Therefore, do without them at all costs.
As a rough rule of thumb, you can specify the 5th month of pregnancy when it comes to planning the baby’s room. This also includes the baby crib. This way, you won’t have any stress in the end and will be perfectly prepared for the little one.
When your baby becomes more active and possibly even attempts to climb, the baby crib should be lowered.
More On The Topic
Furnishing the baby room
- The 10 best complete baby rooms
- The best furniture for the baby and children’s room
- The 10 best changing shelves
- The best products for baby care
- The 9 best changing pads
- The 10 most popular baby toys from Fisher-Price
The room for the older siblings
- The 9 best loft beds with slide
- The 7 best loft beds for children
- The 13 best armchairs for children
- The 10 best Tonie shelves
- The 12 best play tables for children
- The 12 best playhouses for children
- The 5 best Toniebox starter sets
- The 15 best tepee tents for kids
- The 11 best wallpapers for children’s room
- The 15 best tables for children
- The 8 best rocking horses